• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Mi16 Thermostat Housing - Does It Have A Gasket?

Jonmurgie

Got a little coolant leak around the plastic thermostat housing on my Mi... is there a gasket there at all? I have another housing that I was going to clean up and fit in the other one's place but not sure if there's anything else that's supposed to go in there as well?

Cheers

Jon

B1ack_Mi16
Got a little coolant leak around the plastic thermostat housing on my Mi... is there a gasket there at all? I have another housing that I was going to clean up and fit in the other one's place but not sure if there's anything else that's supposed to go in there as well?

Cheers

Jon

There are two rather large o-ring rubbergaskets supposed to be placed on both sides of the thermostat.

The plastic half that's fitted with two 13mm bolts should seat against the outer o-ring on the thermostat.

Jonmurgie

Ah right, so perhaps a new thermostat would be best, as I guess these come with the O-rings?

B1ack_Mi16
Ah right, so perhaps a new thermostat would be best, as I guess these come with the O-rings?

Not sure, but I don't think they usually do.

The O-rings are dead cheap anyway. Even my local motorfactors have them in stock for approx 1£ for the two of them. And usually things seem to be less than half the price in UK, so.. :(

Jonmurgie

Ah ok... well I'll pull it all apart and see what the score is!

Thanks

Jon

C_W

I tend to use the o-rings with silicone sealant around the housing. I use the metal housing as I alawys had sealing probelsm with the plastic ones; they seem to flex very easily.

Edited by C_W

Jonmurgie

Yeah, I only have plastic ones availalbe... the one that's on the car and the one from my other Mi engine! If this one leaks a little as well then I'll source a metal one :(

Miles

There are 2 types of housing, One for the 2 'O' rings and the other for a one piece seal which clips over the stat, The latter is quite rare thou

C_W

Jon, I forgot that I used the alloy housing off the 1.9 8v engine which just has one large top hose outlet; the plastic Mi has an extra on I htink?

Sign in to follow this