• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_R

Mi Anti-surge Kit Arrived

James_R

Big parcel arrived, big thank you to Miles at PugRacing for the awesome service.

One accusump brand spanking and all mounts and valves needed.

photo0129aa5pg.jpg

One sump baffle set up

photo0131aa8rp.jpg

And lastly both toegther, hopefully to stop the surge issues encountered on Mi's on track

photo0132aa0gd.jpg

Just need to have mod my spare oil take off plate, block off one end and get a hose made up, probabaly pirtek to do that for me.

thinking of mounting it in the cabin next to the fire extingisher.

PsychoSimon

excellent stuff mate.

how much did you pay for it do you mind telling me?

i'm after one for my own mi

m.i-man

Not trying to sound too thick here, but what does an 'accusump' do? :D

keith
The Accusump provides that extra margin of protection that you need against engine damage caused by loss of oil pressure. Racing and high performance street engines by nature are put under a lot of stress by the high G-load situations that they are placed in. As oil in your pan sloshes about, your oil pump pickup can become uncovered, which causes a loss of oil pressure and sets the stage for severe engine damage. The Accusump provides oil during these times reducing the potential for damage.
Edited by keith

m.i-man

Good stuff, thank you. Any more details on the actual workings of it? :D

Is it like a pump? Or is it something that just acts like a catch tank and feeds the oil back to the pump area? I know the trap door plate stop the majority of the oil surging away from the pump, so how does the accusump help further in reducing the problem?

Doof

Normal operation:

accusump3a.gif

Surge:

accusump3b.gif

Someone on here had one some months back, cant remember what his findings were, perhaps a search will reveal some more information, i cant be bothered now, im off to bed after a long day at work :D

Ryan

It's a cylinder with a piston inside. The chamber on one side of the piston is filled with air under pressure and the other side is filled with oil from the engine. If the oil pressure in the engine drops for any reason then the pressurised air will move the piston, forcing the oil out of the cylinder to maintain the oil pressure within the engine, thus preventing damage.

EDIT: Damn, too late. :D:blush:

Edited by RyanMoore

Anthony

What capacity is that accusump, as it looks like one of the smaller units that, I would have thought, wouldn't be enough for an Mi16?

smckeown

Looking at the article in this months Retro magazine, it seems Miles has fitted the Acusump in the boot. In the Caterham's ive had with them fitted they were in the engine bay.

I wonder why miles fits them so far away from the engine ?

James_R

It's a 4pt effort, so 2.2 litires? think that's big enough, total of 6+ L then over all.

Seen miles has mounte on in the cabin before, which I'm plannign to do, mount it across the floor pan under passangers fee, with the cut off valve in easy reach.

might be something to do with cut off valve maybe?

James

Miles

Yes they get mounted in the passenger floor pan, Neatest place for them and the oil in the line does away with any lag you think you might get,

Not much room usder the engine bay and you can get to the tap to turn it on & off by yourself before starting and turning the engine off

Good pic thou Doof!!

Edited by Miles

Dj_mini

Could you give us a clue on the price?

Ryan

The 4pt is £148+vat from www.thinkauto.com, or £234+vat for one with an electric valve. There are also 2pt and 6pt version for slightly less/more.

I'm sure there are cheaper places though, and that price doesn't include the pipework and things.

Edited by RyanMoore

Alastairh

Sounds good, wouldn't mind one myself

Dj_mini

Ah not to bad then is it a 100% fix like dry sumping or just a help like the baffle?

jacobs53

im sure ive seen something like this before without the piston inside though.... the one i seen was like a swirl pot for fuel... it held around 2.5 liters of oil, and the pump was feeding to the top of the tank and a outlet right at the center at the bottom.

Ive also seen a very simple system of plumbing external oil return pipes from the head to the sump, this was done on a race mi16 engine'd 205 and he said he didn't have any trouble after.

lee

Butler
Ah not to bad then is it a 100% fix like dry sumping or just a help like the baffle?

James Lumley ran one on his tarmac rally car and reduced the problem enough to stop him spinning shells for fun.

Miles

I supplied his too, I;ve got a old post in the Group buy section if any ones intrested in one

James_R

While I have ppls attention I have the choice of alloy or steel sump pan, which one is preferable?

And also thinking of painting it matt black good plan or bad plan?

And't wait to get it in the car now!!

Oh miles do I need the none return valve if I'm using a single line from oil take off plate and blanking the other? and any ideal air pressures to run it at from experince? all looks a bit like black magic to me.

C_W

That baffle kit you have is designed for a steel sump and will need a lot of faffing to fit a finned aluminium sump.

Dj_mini

Miles

How much will a complete kit be with everything you need and how do you actually attach the lines ect to the engine any pics?

easypug

This been fitted yet, any experiences with it?

findlay

Someone please PM Rob Thompson and see his opinions on the Accusump? :)

James_R

I've not fitted it yet, as I suffered a set back the suposedley "good runner" Mi I bought to replace the shafted one was also shafted, had spun no3 big end. so currently rebuilding a bottom end, will be late next month I'll be up and running so will let you know then.

As for plumbing I'm not going to run an oil cooler so will be plumbing directly in to the oil gallery at the back via the pressure sendor take off M16 as Anthoni 1.9 did on his set up.

I'll also be running an SPA digi oil gauge so will be able to keep a very close eye on things.

smckeown
I'll also be running an SPA digi oil gauge so will be able to keep a very close eye on things.

Unless you also get an additional external warning light , this will be pretty useless at warning of low pressure. All you really need is a 2nd low pressure warning switch (@35psi) from think auto and aMASSIVE warning light on your dash straight in front of you. And you'll save yourself about £100 also.

I used to have a full set of SPA dials in my dash, and the only tine i noticed the warning light that came on often was watching the videos afterwards :lol:

Sign in to follow this