• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Col

Problems With Gti180 Brakes

Col

hey,

i fitted the 180 brakes to my 106gti today. used the easy bleed as normal, then, when i went for a drive the brake pedal went to the floor before biting, i am able to pump the pedal to get the biting point up a bit but after a few seconds it drops down again.

so i brought it home, pumped up the brake pedal by foot then used the easybleed. no air came out that i could see. made no difference.

what am i doing wrong?? does it matter that the car has ABS?

C_W

It could be that there is a small leak somewhere? If there is no air in at all then it could be that the pads need some serious bedding in as the pedal travel can be because the pads aren't properly bedded in to the disc. However if they are brand new discs and pads the travel isn't usually that bad.

I think wha'ts happening when you pump the pedal its just becoming firmer as the servo can't keep up, but when you remain pressed it slowly sinks as the servo power comes back.

Although you have mentioned ABS; this sometimes need very high pressure to bleed properly I think?

Col

the discs and pads have done a couple of thousand miles, however they have been sat for about 6 months. today, before fitting i gave them a good going over with some emery to get them back. could it be as simple as the pads needing bedded in again?

JERAM
hey,

i fitted the 180 brakes to my 106gti today. used the easy bleed as normal, then, when i went for a drive the brake pedal went to the floor before biting, i am able to pump the pedal to get the biting point up a bit but after a few seconds it drops down again.

so i brought it home, pumped up the brake pedal by foot then used the easybleed. no air came out that i could see. made no difference.

what am i doing wrong?? does it matter that the car has ABS?

What presure did you put through the easy beed ugly :D

you've prob feked the seal in the m/cylinder :(

fekin usless aprentice, will need to pay you off ;)

Col
What presure did you put through the easy beed ugly :(

you've prob feked the seal in the m/cylinder :(

fekin usless aprentice, will need to pay you off :D

surely not? was just the usual, tire pressure. aww nut the car will be set on fire if thats what it is. im gonna go for a short drive and see what happens... cue the R.I.P thread ;)

Fuqa
surely not? was just the usual, tire pressure. aww nut the car will be set on fire if thats what it is. im gonna go for a short drive and see what happens... cue the R.I.P thread ;)

think its spose to be no more than 20psi

Col

bollocks, i put probably around 30psi through it.

tbh the m/c can only be the problem, theres no leaks, the bottle cap seals as its meant to. calipers are almost brand new.

JERAM

tbh the m/c can only be the problem, theres no leaks, the bottle cap seals as its meant to. calipers are almost brand new.

what did i tell ya about buying a hairdresser's car :(

sell ya a good ex lax power feature car :( 205 turbo wi 6 gears ;)

you know you want it :D

Col

hmm, u reckon its the m/c then?

ive got a 406 one on the 205 but it would need 2 proffesional blanks made up ;)

if you reckon thats what it is then ill change it

Sam

I've had this before, I doubt your mc is shagged, the crappy seals on the easybleed will break before that. Did you bleed in the correct order, or did you just do the fronts? It sometimes takes a few bleeds to get the pedal travel to a nice feel/travel, certainly did for me when fitting the brembo calipers.

Col

i just done the fronts..

ah crap! the m/c has only 2 outlets. i take it i should really bleed all 4 calipers?

Col

woo! new master cylinder sorted it :wacko:

DrSeuss

I've just realised where you got those wheels from Jeram, sorry bit off topic but you've broken the pug clinic 2ltr turbo. That was a really big money car. Knew i'd seen it before.

Hilgie

Any pics of that car?

Col
I've just realised where you got those wheels from Jeram, sorry bit off topic but you've broken the pug clinic 2ltr turbo. That was a really big money car. Knew i'd seen it before.

what wheels :wacko:

aye thats the one, if u catch me on msn tomorrow night ill send some pics over

JERAM

haha big money :lol::lol::lol: prob if you pay a plumber to do a conversion for you :blush::)

it's as rough as feck, one of the worst conversions i've seen. for the money that has been flung at it!!

anyway there loss is my gain :D:D

Sign in to follow this