• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Fitting Gaz Coilovers Help!

hexhamstu

2 questions!

1.) when we dropped the shock off the passenger side, the drive shaft leaked a bit of oil onto the floor, is something f***ed?

2.) the new gaz coil over is in place, but we cant tighten the top bolt much because there is no were to put the allen key in, because theres the dampening adjusting bit sticking out instead, what do we do?

3.) its cold dark and wet. help me!!!!

Jonmurgie

1) yes that's normal, it just pulls out and in so be carful, but nothing will get damaged if you don't pull it out all the way ;)

2) You really need to do that up with an air gun as the ratchet mechanism tightes it up without having to grip the shaft. Not sure what else to suggest, though in the past I've used a pair of mole grips with a cloth wrapped around the shaft, though it's not the best thing to do to be fair. Maybe someone will come up with a good suggestion shortly!

3) cold - put some more cloths on; dark - use some lights; wet - use an umbrella!

hodgy

2. i did the mole grip thing n dinted the shaft which in turn led to it leaking so be very carfull if you use mole grips!!

hexhamstu

do i need to top up the gear box oil?

Col

1) you would have pulled the driveshaft out a wee bit off the seal. will be fine...

2) i'm sure i gripped the shaft (yeah i know) with mole grips, bit of rubber to stop the mole grips(vice grips) digging into the shaft, then tightened it all up off the car...

jackherer
replied in this threads twin :mellow:

threads merged...

hodgy

erm i now have a set of gaz coilovers lol

strut top mounts!

if i fit group N mounts are they gonna be way too bumpy as my car is an every day driver

d-9

Spring and damping rates will have more effect than top mounts of bumpiness...given gaz come with 250lb springs or something as standard then yes, yes it will be bumpy :)

hexhamstu

to be honest gaz coil overs are great for daily drive, because on softest setting they are fine for driving normaly, then when you want to go for proper drive or track or anything it only takes 2 seconds to put them on hard.

tom_m
to be honest gaz coil overs are great for daily drive, because on softest setting they are fine for driving normaly, then when you want to go for proper drive or track or anything it only takes 2 seconds to put them on hard.

seconded, i run my daily driver with grp n top mounts and 180lb springs on my gaz coilovers and its fine IMO

Sam

The airgun solution is the best one, do it up as tight as you can, then take the struts to a local garage and get them to do them up with an airgun for a "drink".

Sign in to follow this