• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Radiator Spade Connector

ajones12

I am slowly getting to grips with rebuilding the engine bay in my 'H' plate 1.9 Gti following a clutch change. Many thanks to all who offered advice on the throttle body hoses.

During the rebuild I noticed there was a spade connector towards the bottom of the radiator on the left hand side when viewed from the front with nothing connected to it. Question is - should there be and if so what??

Also is there a way of checking whether the two cooling fans are in place or is it a case taking the radiator off to see?

Here's a picture of it!

Thanks in advance.

DSCF0342a.jpg

Hilgie

It's the switch that triggers the fan(s).

ajones12

Ok - thanks.

I think I need to whip the rad off to see if the fans are in front of it. Is it obvious where it connects onto the fan?

Rob_the_Sparky
It's the switch that triggers the fan(s).

Not so hasty, the switch for the fans (at least on UK cars) is under the top hose but in this location there is often a blanking plate. It could be someone has put a spare thermoswitch in here to block the second position (normally comes with a cover but have seen them without).

Rob

maturin23

UK non-a/c GTI's came with one fan as standard (although the cowling has space for two) - only the diesel and a/c fitted cars had two.

One fan is enough to keep temps down if the rest of the cooling system is working properly - if you need two then you're compensating for a problem elsewhere.

jackherer
Not so hasty, the switch for the fans (at least on UK cars) is under the top hose but in this location there is often a blanking plate. It could be someone has put a spare thermoswitch in here to block the second position (normally comes with a cover but have seen them without).

Rob

thats exactly what I was thinking, if you have a similar sensor on the other side of the rad with something connected then (if the fans definately work...) I think you can safely ignore this one.

Hilgie

Ah....we've had them on both positions. Older 205s have it as in the above picture, the later ones have it under the top hose like jackherer says.

ajones12
Ah....we've had them on both positions. Older 205s have it as in the above picture, the later ones have it under the top hose like jackherer says.

To be honest I've never had the car running long enough for the fan to kick in! I will have a look at the other side tonight to see if there is a connector and under the top hose.

Thanks for your help.

jackherer

he says its an "H plate" which, in the UK, means it was sold in the second half of 1990 or the first part of 1991.

ajones12
he says its an "H plate" which, in the UK, means it was sold in the second half of 1990 or the first part of 1991.

It was the first part of 1991.

Jonmurgie

I have another fan switch on that side of the rad... I fitted it as the original plastic bung bust at a trackday and it's all I had handy :) Could be something as simple as that though....

Daz_C

I agree. Mine was at the bottom of the Rad on my B plate 205. English model.

ajones12

Presumably I will be able to see the outline of a fan through the radiator?

Daz_C
Presumably I will be able to see the outline of a fan through the radiator?

Just take off the front grill and you can see the fan(s) from there.

The wiring from the fan will go toward the passenger side headlight.

It is indirectly connected to a Rheostat (silver cylindrical piece of metal with a plug on one end) this is where the wiring for the fan switch off the radiator connects too.

Rob_the_Sparky
Just take off the front grill and you can see the fan(s) from there.

The wiring from the fan will go toward the passenger side headlight.

It is indirectly connected to a Rheostat (silver cylindrical piece of metal with a plug on one end) this is where the wiring for the fan switch off the radiator connects too.

I know it is pedantic but it isn't a rheostat, just a large resistor... ;)

jim205GTI

As i had my grill off earlier i had a look and in the cowling side which is closest to the driver i believe is mounted the air oil cooler??? looks like a mini rad with two pipes going to the oil filter location ...am i right in my guess?

jackherer

yes

Sign in to follow this