• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Do Springs "wear Out"?

Rob_the_Sparky

Going to do a bit of a swap around/replacement of bits on the front end shortly and clearly new struts/shocks and rubbers are a must but what about springs? Is there anything to be gained in replacing these while I'm at it?

Rob

M3Evo

Guess it depends how many miles they have on them, they do break from time to time, which presumably means that some fatigue's involved :lol:

Rippthrough
Guess it depends how many miles they have on them, they do break from time to time, which presumably means that some fatigue's involved :lol:

They can soften slightly from the heat cycles/fatigue. That's why they usually settle after the first few trips out after fitting new ones.

Can't see it making a whole lot of difference after that though.

Wouldn't bother tbh.

Beastie

Springs certainly "wear out" as M3Evo says - they will start to "settle" and then one day they'll break. Whether or not you will notice an appreciable difference with new springs for a car this "young" I'm not so sure! It's common to have to replace coil springs on Jaguars from the 1960's when you restore them because 40+ years of a cast iron 3.8 litre engine bearing down on them takes a certain toll! I'm just about to replace the rear leaf springs on my 76 year old Alvis because the main leaf has broken on one of them near one of the eyes. In this respect the Peugeot springs are still in their youth :lol:

Bats

As steted previously, coil springs will have a finite fatigue life or number of cycles before failure. What can accelerate this is corrosion of the spring causing pitting and then localised stress points that can propagate a crack. Further cycling then eventually breaks the spring.

pug309twin40s

as send the springs can snap and break, also the springs can go soft and compress. My old 405 mi16 gradually got lower and lower on the front.

If your putting new shocks etc then its worth doing the springs at the same time.

M3Evo

Had a most bizarre situation on our old Volvo 2 series.

Both front springs snapped within a week of eachother, both springs snapped in exactly the same place (1 full turn up from the bottom) and the really odd part: You could take the broken bit from either spring and the fracture almost exactly matched the other one, like they almost exactly mated together!

Weird!

Rippthrough
Had a most bizarre situation on our old Volvo 2 series.

Both front springs snapped within a week of eachother, both springs snapped in exactly the same place (1 full turn up from the bottom) and the really odd part: You could take the broken bit from either spring and the fracture almost exactly matched the other one, like they almost exactly mated together!

Weird!

Flaw in the manufacturing process then.

Sign in to follow this