• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
proaxis2

How Easy Is It To Bend A Wishbone Or Hub?

proaxis2

Guys

Done a few searches and read that bending the wishbone itself would be very hard to do, however thanks to a 911 overtaking me and then braking on a slippery, quick corner at Bedford Autodrome I ventured into a bit of grass tracking an at about 80mph :lol:

The car sits quite low at the front of coilovers but I thought I'd got away with any damage. However found out later, I had damaged the near side CV boot and the drop link was bent and the hub was fouling it as you steered.

I Replaced the CV boot and the drop link and still the hub skimmed the new drop link. As a quick fix I filed down the corner of the hub which was fouling, I only filed off about 1mm.

However I still get a funny knocking noise when I do a hard right as I found out at Silverstone last Friday. It doesn't sound pretty either and sends vibrations through transmission and makes the gear knob shake wildly.

I don't think its the driveshaft as that was checked over when both CV boots were replaced. I'm thinking the noise could be the hub rubbing on the drop link still when cornering hard but it's kind of knocking which increases with your speed.

Sorry to ramble but has anyone got ideas?

Cheers

pug_ham

Have you bent the Antiroll bar?

If you bent the drop link you might also have bent the arb which would explain why it was still fouling the hub after you'd replaced it.

How uneven was the grass? If you hit the grass straight on & not with the wheels locked at an angle I'd be surprised if you'd managed to bend the wishbone.

Graham.

proaxis2

It was quite uneven, and I was going sideways for a bit. Had to floor it at about 60mph to get it straight again. :lol: I tried to find the 911 driver after to have a word, but I didn't get his number plate and there were 3 identical ones there that day. Besides I didn't think there was any damage at the time.

Took out signpost BTCC style too :lol: , that only knocked off my number plate though.

OK cheers for the tip on the ARB. What I may do is remove the drop links both sides and see if it still fouls. I take it that it's alright to do a test drive with no drop links, it just won't handle as good?

Adam

Edited to say I'm a complete muppet, obviously it won't foul on the drop links as they won't be there. What I meant to say is remove the drop links to see if it still knocks.

Edited by proaxis2

Rippthrough

I'd imagine your bushes should die before a wishbone bends. Of course, if the bushes are dead too.... :lol:

proaxis2

OK cheers guys looks like a full investigation at the weekend is needed.

Sign in to follow this