• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mak

Is There Any Need For

mak

I'm in the process of 'boying up' my stereo.

I'm planning a nifty set of speakers in the front but am not sure what to do in the back. I'm not planning a sub or anything ott but did think of maybe cutting the rear speaker pockets to fit some 6x9's. Then I thought are rear speakers even needed? no one sits in the back so they would only be used to improve the sound quality in the front.

ashlee205gti

In mine i just uprated the front door speakers and put a small 10" sub in the boot, nothing to drastic just something to add some depth.

DaveW

hmm the best set up i had was 4 speakers in the standard holes with a sub in the boot, 6x9's are ok but they take over the rear sound stage of the car, what have you got up front?

Dino

Ive got mids and tweets in the front and am putting some 6x9s in the panel below the rear side qtr panel windows ;) Should have decent enough bass and dispense with the hassle of sub and amp.

jshep205gti

Yes, there is a 'need' for rear speakers.

Even if you have the same speakers in the back as in the front you'll notice the difference. If you get your hands on a decent 4 channel amp then I'd definately recommend using it. Much better sound all round!

And a sub isn't over the top! It makes for much better listening!

Guest Lil Black Pug

I dont think rear fill adds much to the sound stage, if you have a budget for the entire system imo its better to spend the money on a decent set of front components than 2 sets of okish ones. As for the 6x9s? Not worth the hastle mate. Front comps and a small sub/amp will sound pretty good mate. Find an new 8" Rocky, theres plenty of the old punch amps on ebay these days and you will have a very nice, clear system?!

Also think if your gonna spend a bit of cash on front components thats because they will sound much better than co-axials, so co-axials in the rear will deterioate the sound from the comps upfront.

TEKNOPUG
I dont think rear fill adds much to the sound stage, if you have a budget for the entire system imo its better to spend the money on a decent set of front components than 2 sets of okish ones. As for the 6x9s? Not worth the hastle mate. Front comps and a small sub/amp will sound pretty good mate. Find an new 8" Rocky, theres plenty of the old punch amps on ebay these days and you will have a very nice, clear system?!

Also think if your gonna spend a bit of cash on front components thats because they will sound much better than co-axials, so co-axials in the rear will deterioate the sound from the comps upfront.

Agree with all that. Rears will ruin the sound stage. Quality comps up front and a nice little sub in the back is all that is needed.

mak
hmm the best set up i had was 4 speakers in the standard holes with a sub in the boot, 6x9's are ok but they take over the rear sound stage of the car, what have you got up front?

I haven't yet, but am thinking along the lines of some infintiy components.

It seems common opinion is forget buying rear speakers and put the money to a kicker instead

TEKNOPUG
I haven't yet, but am thinking along the lines of some infintiy components.

It seems common opinion is forget buying rear speakers and put the money to a kicker instead

Yep

jeremy

It is not necessary to buy rear speakers, but I have. What I find is that you can clearly move the sound to more head height with rears in place, otherwise the sounds seems to come more from their location ie the front doors, all very obvious I guess. So depending on what money you have depends on if you go ahead I guess. Also the people who are saying not to put rear speakers in do they have rear speakers, as if not then they are not really in a position to comment unless they have previously tried this set up.

Edited by jeremy

Guest Lil Black Pug

At present dont have any ICE in her pug, im focusing all my efforts on the cold start issues. As with all ice it depends what equipment have have and the individual cars, but I removed the rear fill from all my cars and ive always found it sounded far better. If im honest and had the spare cash Id probably put a 2nd set of comps in the rear doors / center console of my car but it would have to match the fronts and Diamond M5 comps aint cheap?!

Sign in to follow this