• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ross84

High Idle/overfueling

Guest Ross84

My 1360 carbed heap of a car is idling far too high, it has no rev counter but i would estimate about 3000? you could here explosions in the carb but turning the screw with the off centre slot a bit seems to have cured that but its still using loads of fuel, i.e 30 miles of general driving used 1/2 a tank. its pretty embarrasing when your waiting at traffic lights and it sounds like youve got your foot on the accelerator, how do i cure this problem!

Guest smokinslim

You should have a fuel mixture screw and an idle speed screw on the carb. Where they are depends on which carb you have on ur car. If you have a haynes manual it will have all the relevant info in. Basically both screws need settin up.

Another possibility is u may have an air and/or fuel leak.

If u dont have a manual let me know which carb u have and i'll scan the relevant pages in mine for u.

Chances are others on the forum will have more concise info anyway but i hope this is of some help.

Guest Ross84
You should have a fuel mixture screw and an idle speed screw on the carb. Where they are depends on which carb you have on ur car. If you have a haynes manual it will have all the relevant info in. Basically both screws need settin up.

Another possibility is u may have an air and/or fuel leak.

If u dont have a manual let me know which carb u have and i'll scan the relevant pages in mine for u.

Chances are others on the forum will have more concise info anyway but i hope this is of some help.

Thanks, i do have a haynes manual but cant find a diagram of the right carb, the mixture adjustment screw was easy enough to find but the idle speed one is slightly different, where the throttle cable attaches its like half a disc that rests on a bolt head, if i screwed the bolt down a little it may let the throttle cable pull back slightly lowering the idle but it doesnt have a nice simple screw like the solex 32 and 34 pictured.

macaroni

Slightly off-topic, but I was born and bred in Harrogate. Lovely town.

What carb do you have? I have the bible of carbs at home and I could find some info.

Guest BrainFluid
Thanks, i do have a haynes manual but cant find a diagram of the right carb, the mixture adjustment screw was easy enough to find but the idle speed one is slightly different, where the throttle cable attaches its like half a disc that rests on a bolt head, if i screwed the bolt down a little it may let the throttle cable pull back slightly lowering the idle but it doesnt have a nice simple screw like the solex 32 and 34 pictured.

Haynes Manuals are great but they can be really annoying sometimes cant they!

As well as the mixture screw It would be well worth Taking the air filter case off the carburettor First & having a look at whether the choke is Stuck on. If so, with the choke off the 'butterfly' flap at the top of the carb will be closed. This should not be happening with the 'Choke Off'.

Failing that, The butterfly flap inside the bottom of the carb is the one controlled by the accelerator pedal. This is closed at rest and opens more as you put the pedal to the metal. The 'fast idle' screw however can be used to keep this butterfly flap open ever so slightly, allowing some air into the inlet manifold through to the engine at rest. To lower the idle you Close the flap some. To increase the idle you Open it some. Pic 10.37 in haynes points to an example idle screw.

Check if the actual gas pedal arm on the carb is going all the way back too. If it isnt then the afore mentioned flap is way to open, much more than the idle screw would allow. It needs to go all the way back so rests on the idle screw!

Hope this helps & hello!

Edited by BrainFluid

Sign in to follow this