• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RHULPUG

Throttle Body Filters?

RHULPUG

My S16 has been mapped without a filter on the throttle bodies, so I'm wondering what filter I can put on them....individual 'sock' ones, or 2 twin filters?....ITG, Pipercross? I would attach a picture of the engine bay but not really sure how to do this. The trumpets are very short(approx 10mm).

Thanks in advance!

Jonmurgie

Sock filters kill BHP so that's a big no!

What kind of TB's are you running, and 10mm trumptes sound about 80mm too short!! What kind of power did you make?

engine killer

i guess he means 10cm trumpet not 10mm.

anyway, i have been using sock filters for quite sometime. had an airbox with pipercross viper before but the rolling road result showed the socks provide slightly better performance. with this induction "http://community.webshots.com/album/540583246JYXWQZ" added, i FEEL a very significant improvement on performance over the airbox setup.

as have heard from so many tbs users, airbox setup should give better performance than socks. don't know whether it's coincident or not, friend's mi has same case as i have.

anyway, i am having the induction modified soon. the aerocatch bonnet-locks you have will clear the original lock and give a better room for cold air induction, so i will follow that path.

Jonmurgie

Sorry but you must have feck all torque on your motor, unless your engine revs to over 9k with trumpets that short... the Mi16 really needs the 90mm trumpets!

Interesting induction setup there as well, why not just use an airbox or a single filter?

engine killer

there isn't much room for us to use much longer trumpet (a condensor is there as well). since i am having the engine rebuild and swaping from 40mm tbs to 45mm, will definitely try the longer trumpets of course 90mm too.

by the way, the torque is not bad at all (haven't try the 90mm trumpets so no comparison at this moment). at least i beat the Golf V GTI at traffic lights easily. after hearing your advise, i definitely will try the 90mm trumpets for sure, thanks.

single filter? do you mean the very long one cover all 4 trumpets and with a back plate behind the trumpet? friend's 206GTi has got it for about two months and the sucking power got it torn apart. don't know what has gone wrong may be too hot in the engine bay, but i don't think i will try it.

i am think to lower the radiator by 2" - 2.5" to give more room for cold air induction (may have an airbox with that kind of induction at the end). sadly the a/c compressor is really a big big issue! so many plans in my mind but just have to try the workability. will post it here if it works.

cheers.

Super Josh

Could you not fit a custom radiator that is not as tall but is thicker? So that you can have a decent cold air feed? Would you have room between the condensor and the airfilter?

You can still have it mounted on the small brackets to clear the A/C compressor. I realise that you won't be able to do anything about the condensor, but that shouldn't provide to much of a restriction to the airflow, and will only get hot with the A/C switched on.

Josh

RHULPUG
i guess he means 10cm trumpet not 10mm.

anyway, i have been using sock filters for quite sometime. had an airbox with pipercross viper before but the rolling road result showed the socks provide slightly better performance. with this induction "http://community.webshots.com/album/540583246JYXWQZ" added, i FEEL a very significant improvement on performance over the airbox setup.

as have heard from so many tbs users, airbox setup should give better performance than socks. don't know whether it's coincident or not, friend's mi has same case as i have.

anyway, i am having the induction modified soon. the aerocatch bonnet-locks you have will clear the original lock and give a better room for cold air induction, so i will follow that path.

My trumpets look to be about 1cm shorter than the ones in the above link.....so not sure exactly how long they are.

Just trying to work out what I need to put on them to filter safely. Off to TMS in a bit.

Robsbc
Sorry but you must have feck all torque on your motor, unless your engine revs to over 9k with trumpets that short... the Mi16 really needs the 90mm trumpets!

Interesting induction setup there as well, why not just use an airbox or a single filter?

They look like 40mm if they are Jenvey trumpets.

Not all Mi16's need 90mm that statement is a bit misleading....As you know I tried 75mm and 40 mm and for my spec of engine Dave walker suggested 40mm being best suited to my spec of engine...And I don't need to rev to 9000rpm either...

Edited by Robsbc

RHULPUG

Back from TMS in Leeds and they reckon 2 twin K&N filters are the way to go....retailing at around £42 each. Then got to reposition the oil dipstick, and ensure that the filters clear the 'auto' bonnet ok.

veloce200

I think that whatever filter you choose measuring air intake temperature is vital. If you have an aftermarket ECU this is easy. As an example on my 8v with std filter and heated intake air temp was usually 10-20 degrees above ambient. With no filter up to 50 deg above ambient. With a BMC Airbox and air feed behind headlight (not a ram feed but plenty of space to draw cold air) air is drawn in at ambient temperature. A 10deg temp drop can bring 3% power I think this is as important as the correct trumpet size. So whichever way you lower the intake temp (rad mods/airbox/cold air feeds) its a key factor.

Jonmurgie
Not all Mi16's need 90mm that statement is a bit misleading....As you know I tried 75mm and 40 mm and for my spec of engine Dave walker suggested 40mm being best suited to my spec of engine...And I don't need to rev to 9000rpm either...

My info came straight from the horses mouth... Richard Jenvey :)

Sign in to follow this