• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

Brake Pedal Travel

Guest TSL 333

Per the topic above, any ideas? 205 1.6 GTI. :lol:

Pugnut

if everything else is as it should be , firm pedal and well bled then you're rear brake shoe adjusters are siezed.

Al

Guest TSL 333
if everything else is as it should be , firm pedal and well bled then you're rear brake shoe adjusters are siezed.

Al

Hubs off and some WD40 then?

Pugnut
Hubs off and some WD40 then?

you really need to strip them off the shoes and free them up with a wire brush and wd40 until everything works smoothly . then coat in copper grease and refit , they should adjust by just prizing the shoes away from each other before you refit the drums

Guest TSL 333
you really need to strip them off the shoes and free them up with a wire brush and wd40 until everything works smoothly . then coat in copper grease and refit , they should adjust by just prizing the shoes away from each other before you refit the drums

Will have a look this weekend - cheers mate!! :lol:

jonah

Is the pedal travel still long when the handbrake is on? If so this means the rear adjusters are not the problem.

BTW the adjusters should move freely without needing any oil or grease... if you do put some one then it's likely to attract brake dust and clog things up.

Sam

I had this problem for ages, I solved it by fitting new rear cylinders, pedal was nice and firm and much shorter travel.

Guest TSL 333

Regarding the problem being present when the handbrake is on, I am unsure and the Pug is tucked up the back of my driveway at the moment behind my Scooby. I get paranoid moving it in the evenings unless I have to as it is 'a bit burbly' and we have neighbours with kids!!! I will check tomorrow.

Cheers guys!!!

Guest TSL 333

The problem is still apparent irrespective of where the handbrake is. That said, just did a trackday on Sunday (at knockhill) and all was very good. The brakes felt excellent all day - no fade or anything, just a slight wobble when the brakes are applied initially.

Rippthrough
The problem is still apparent irrespective of where the handbrake is. That said, just did a trackday on Sunday (at knockhill) and all was very good. The brakes felt excellent all day - no fade or anything, just a slight wobble when the brakes are applied initially.

OK, sounds similar to what we've been trying to sort with the 306, the linkage to the back of the master cylinder needed adjusting, as although it was meeting the master cylinder, the slack in the assembly wasn't been taken up. (There may be some slack in the pedal side too, but that's a bit of a pain to sort.)

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this