• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ant

Fly Wheel Swap

Ant

Hi all,

Currently my 2.0 Turbo has the flywheel attached from the 605 ( 5 speed manual, not automatic ) . Ive got a spare mi16 engine sitting next to it with a flywheel attached.

Ive done a search, and i know that i'd have to start cutting metal away if it were an Automatic flywheel, but becuase my engines a manual, will the flywheel be okay ? or am i best swapping for the Mi16 flywheel ?

And if i do take it off, is there anything i need to be careful of. Ive read somewhere about "timing". is it just a case of unbolting one and bolting the other back on.. The Haynes manual also says always replace the flywheel bolts if you remove. Is this nessesary ?

And to the clutch.. Again, after doing a search. Some have said use an Mi16, Lee was using a TD clutch.. Any recommendations. I'm aiming for 180 bhp. Can i just use my near new 1.6 clutch, or am i best upgrading

Cheers

Ant

DrSeuss

There's a dowel on the crank to prevent you screwing it up so no worries there. Just fit the mi flywheel and clutch. It might not last forever at 180hp but a new one should do 30,000 miles or so before grenading.

Fuqa has a 2ltr turbo with mi fly wheel and clutch thats done lots of miles and is regularly abused.

Fuqa
There's a dowel on the crank to prevent you screwing it up so no worries there. Just fit the mi flywheel and clutch. It might not last forever at 180hp but a new one should do 30,000 miles or so before grenading.

Fuqa has a 2ltr turbo with mi fly wheel and clutch thats done lots of miles and is regularly abused.

oh yes.... nearly 3yrs of use and all seems well. Maybe im just lucky, who knows

Sign in to follow this