• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Alternator Compatibility Between 1.6/1.9 And 1.8/2.0/td

Anthony

Given it looks like the alternator on my 1.6 is about to die on me (alternator lamp was on and it refused to charge for 60 seconds or so when leaving work earlier this evening) and that I think I'm finally all out of spare alternators after selling half a dozen of them last year, does anyone know for sure whether 1.6/1.9 alternators are interchangeable with the later style found on 1.8/2.0/TD engines?

I know that the terminals are different but that's easily solveable, and besides the obvious case design difference they look like a similar fitment, but has anyone tried fitting the later style alternators to the earlier alloy block engines?

I ask as there's likely to be a much better choice of the 1.8/2.0/TD style alternators at the scrappy and they're likely to be newer with lower mileage as well

Super Josh

No, i don't think they are. I've laid a standard 1.9 8V alternator along side one from an XU10J2TE( assuming all of the XU10 ones are the same) and the mounting is completely different. The XU10 one doesn't need to pivot, because of the idler pulley that tensions the serpentine belt. So it is mounted to the block with two sets of bolts and even the width between the mounting lugs is different, if you were thinking of just using one set of holes. I'll go into the cellar later on and have another comparision, just to make sure.

Josh

Anthony
No, i don't think they are. I've laid a standard 1.9 8V alternator along side one from an XU10J2TE( assuming all of the XU10 ones are the same) and the mounting is completely different.

D'oh - must be my memory playing tricks on me again then, as I remembered them being similar but never had both to hand to compare side-by-side :)

Richie-Van-GTi

I laid a 306td type against a 1.9 gti type at the weekend, only difference was location of wires and the pulley had more grooves but did look like the thinner 205 belt would fit the pulley, just not cover all grooves. Didnt use in the end as a friends S16 alt packed up so shoved it in that instead.

Sign in to follow this