• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_sport

Fuel Gauge

Pug_sport

I have done a search and i cant seem to find anything that helps.

My fuel gauge is very up and down but i have a new problem with it.

It sometimes reads the equivelent of 1/4 to 1/2 a tank below empty but then some times it will be ok

You get in and turn on the ingnition it tells you that you have just under 1/4 of a tank.

You start the engine still 1/4 of a tank.

You turn the lights on your almost empty,

You turn the lights off your at 1/4 of tank again.

You start driving and your back to empty or below.

Could this be caused by the sender in the tank?

Help!!!!! :wacko:

Baz

have a similar problem with my VTR (it was cheap and i treat it how it deserves -like s*it! :wacko: ) that i use 4 work. It generally tells me there's feck all fuel in it when there's actually about 1/2tank!! - so i dont actually know when it HAS run out until s*it, too late! :D

Edited by BazGTMi

CaM

if it's changing with the headlamps being turned off and on then the gauge must have a poor earth or somethig, and the difference in resistance that the gauge reads it's level from is being affected with extra load on the dash etc.

mines up and down a bit too. nothing like that though

Rob_the_Sparky

Agreed, if is a direct link to an electrical load then it is probably an electrical problem. However, the fuel gauge is pretty horrific on a 205 with regards to accuracy although your variations seem to be worse than the usual.

I have never understood why I can fill the tank to the brim and get in the car and the gauge reads only about half way until I drive down the road a bit. I can also get variations between 1/4 full and warning light on depending on incline of the road!

Rob

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

jonah

Could be earthing related, I think the earth for the sender is at the same block as the earths for the rear lights (just in front of NSR lamp cluster). Would explain why the gauge moves when you put the lights on. Does it also move when you put your foot on the brake (i.e. brake lights on)?

hman205

Mine does this and also when you get to empty light on it will then suddenly jump to Half a tank leading you in to a false sense of security usually does that 5min befour you come to a spluttering holt ! :wacko:

Redtop

I work in a pug garage and mine had the same problem. was a faulty sender unit. I opened mine up to fine someone had been in hooking at it. Asked a guy that has worked there for 25 years and he says the sender units go faulty on them. Replaced it and it cured my problem.

timmsy19
It generally tells me there's feck all fuel in it when there's actually about 1/2tank!! - so i dont actually know when it HAS run out until s*it, too late! ;)

yep done that few weeks back i thought i was ok on fuel and decided not to bother filling up till after work 5mins away from work it just stoped....... out of petrol

I can also get variations between 1/4 full and warning light on depending on incline of the road!

yep i got the same problem really donin my head in. aswel as not having a trip meter i dont know how fair i can go on tank of petrol really gets me.

christopher

As above I had teh same problem...The curcuit board edecide to go to pieces and wrap stuff round teh sender causing problems...I replaced it with one from a scrappy and it worked fine after..Its easy...just don't smoke during removal:-P

tom_m

it lies, get used to it! :lol:

Sign in to follow this