• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pug2112

My Pug Is Noisy...

Guest Pug2112

On long runs the exhaust noise can get a bit much, added to the fact that my new rear beam has been lowered and has a grp A kit fitted it seems as if the car is reading brail off the road. Ive been told to check out dynamat.

Anybody with any suggestions regarding soundproofing??

timmsy19

have you stripped your interior?

easypug

Have a look for Paintguys restoration on here, he added some sound deadening to his during the rebuild.

Guest Pug2112
have you stripped your interior?

Not yet - I thought id ask before taking her to bits... I have noticed that the previous owner used bubble wrap to soundproof the boot area - but i dont think it works too well...

Redtop

I just done mine with ordinary underlay from the carpet store. Done the job for me, but my car has a standard exhaust. Worth a try this. If you go to the scrappy and try a see if there is a wrecked toyota avensis new model 2003 on. Try and get some of the sound deadening out of the boot of that. It's magic stuff, but think thay have a moulded boot for the spare wheel but if you got enough of it to do it, it would be good.

j_turnell

Where abouts in Leicester are you?

Dino
added to the fact that my new rear beam has been lowered and has a grp A kit fitted it seems as if the car is reading brail off the road

:)

Made me chuckle that comment!!

I'd get rid of those solid beam mounts for starters. Utterly pointless for a road car IMO. We would all like to think we are driving Gods but lets be fair will it really make us be able to drive faster than a car on std or GrpN beam mounts?! As for the loud exhaust - try using the car without the parcel shelf installed. It seems that the boot causes the exhaust to boom more creating its own 'sub' so to speak. I've always found that zorsts in 205 simply arent as boomy once you lose the shelf.

GLPoomobile

Have to disagree there Dino.

After installing my solid mounts I found the general feel of the car was improved. What I mean is that it felt a lot better screwed together, like Audi build qulaity rather than Pug! The old rubber mounts were nearly new, so it's not like I went from knackered bushes to new ones.

I didn't find it ruined the ride quality, it was just noiser, like the sound of buggered wheel bearing.

I also found that it felt a bit more stable, and I don't exactly drive like I stole it!

Guest Pug2112
what exhaust have you got on it?

Its a standard exhaust - on motorway runs it gets too noisy. Once I'm over 80 its in the 'headache' zone.

Guest Pug2112
;)

Made me chuckle that comment!!

I'd get rid of those solid beam mounts for starters. Utterly pointless for a road car IMO. We would all like to think we are driving Gods but lets be fair will it really make us be able to drive faster than a car on std or GrpN beam mounts?! As for the loud exhaust - try using the car without the parcel shelf installed. It seems that the boot causes the exhaust to boom more creating its own 'sub' so to speak. I've always found that zorsts in 205 simply arent as boomy once you lose the shelf.

The beam came with the solid mounts and I dont want to mess about with it. As for the parcel shelf its been out of the car for a while but its still too noisy for me. I might look for a quiter exhuast.

SweetBadger
Its a standard exhaust - on motorway runs it gets too noisy. Once I'm over 80 its in the 'headache' zone.

Is it a genuine Pug standard exhaust? When I got my 1.6, it had a standard cheapo non-pug replacement exhaust system and it was bloody awful. Motorway journeys left me deaf, especially with the 1.6 gearing!

I bought a genuine back box from peugeot for about 65 quid and it was fine. I'm currently running an standard 3 piece arvin system with an MI16, its nice n quiet and much cheaper than from peugeot...

Rob_the_Sparky

I'd try to compare yours with another one locally. Exhaust isn't quiet by stock standards but is hardly loud. Sure you haven't either got a hole in it or it isn't stock?

Rob

Guest DRUE1

standard :) my old 205 had a standard exhaust and i did not notice any sound from it.my new 205 i have has a performance exhaust and thats loud :).i would check it out just in case its not standard u might have a group n :) is there anyone else you know that has a pug.if so go out with them and see

Guest Pug2112
Is it a genuine Pug standard exhaust? When I got my 1.6, it had a standard cheapo non-pug replacement exhaust system and it was bloody awful. Motorway journeys left me deaf, especially with the 1.6 gearing!

I bought a genuine back box from peugeot for about 65 quid and it was fine. I'm currently running an standard 3 piece arvin system with an MI16, its nice n quiet and much cheaper than from peugeot...

I just checked my service history + bills - the previous owner had purchased a backbox which doesnt seem to be genuine. Looks like I'll go for a genuine backbox. Alternatively could you recommend another exhaust? or a place to purchase.

SweetBadger
I just checked my service history + bills - the previous owner had purchased a backbox which doesnt seem to be genuine. Looks like I'll go for a genuine backbox. Alternatively could you recommend another exhaust? or a place to purchase.

I think this is where I got my system from, from what I've read on here most people reckon the arvin systems are best non genuine exhausts to go for if you want to keep it standard, and as you can see they're preety cheap!

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_detai...p?recordID=2024 - for the later 2 piece system

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_detai...p?recordID=2015 - for the earlier 3 piece system

Sign in to follow this