• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Electrical Problems

jeremy

Ok whilst driving my car the power just dies to the engine, and the rev counter drops like a lead ballon then suddenly all comes back to life. I assume this is electrical, and doubt very much this to be the coil as I have just replaced this as it was completley fried. Where do the electrics from the coil go to? It is the later type of coil ie itis mounted on the inlet manifold, so not easy to see especially in the dark. Or is this likely to be something else entirely? Any help greatfully apreciated.

richard

if all the electrics go, id be looking at the earthing points first. That one on the gearbox being first.

otherwise theres a small black cable that goes to the coil....that could have a break in in, or a dodgy connection.

Guest Sonny
if all the electrics go, id be looking at the earthing points first. That one on the gearbox being first.

otherwise theres a small black cable that goes to the coil....that could have a break in in, or a dodgy connection.

I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy, and it ended to be the cable from the coil to the dizzy that was breaking...

Regards

Alexandre

jonah

The fault has to be before the coil (or at the coil connector) to stop both rev counter feed and injection / igntion pulse. So either:

Dizzy pickup windings

Cable from dizzy to ignition amp (broken wire where it exits the dist. body?), connector in the middle of this cable

Igntion amp or connector

Coil connector

...or possibly a short or break somewhere else in the other wires coming from the coil, which either stops power getting to the coil & ignition amp or short-circuits the pulses.

Sign in to follow this