• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Xu10jt Engine

Veero

Right Im *hopefully* getting my grubby little mitts on an XU10JT engine (2 litre 8 valve turbo) from a 605 in about 3 weeks. The 605 in question is an auto and N reg.

I haven't yet seen it running but I think with a little TLC on the day it will since the car is being scrapped because A) no fecker wants it even on eBay and B ) its hideous and partly broken (someone tried to break into it and knackered the steering column etc.)

Im planning on getting the engine, loom and ECU (and throwing the box in the boot as its an Auto) for a future project for later this year.

What do I need to watch out for on these engines? It has 100K on the clock but the cambelt is still good apparently. Not having had any previous experience with turbos is there anyway I can practically assess it's condition on site?

Also does anyone know if this 605 SVI has a kepyad immob, if so Ill need to unlock it beofre removal from the car?

Any advice on this would be great. Shame Im part way through the Mi conversion otherwise Id get it to stick in now :blush:

Cheers lads, I know plenty of 2 litre turbos are around on here :P

Veero

sonofsam

Hi Veero,Smoke at idle would be one thing i can think of straight away.

Vehicle speed module is by the steering column apperently!!would be worth a check to see if it's not damaged

Must add i hav'nt really had much experience myslef,dont know if the 605 has keypad or transponder key immob.might be worth cheecking the ECU model to see what management it runs,i have never taken one out, mine arrived on a pallet with loads of loomage,but still bits missing!!

I'd change the cambelt and tensioner maybe too,just to be on the safe side,doodle once the engines out

Sam.

Veero
Hi Veero,Smoke at idle would be one thing i can think of straight away.

Vehicle speed module is by the steering column apperently!!would be worth a check to see if it's not damaged

Must add i hav'nt really had much experience myslef,dont know if the 605 has keypad or transponder key immob.might be worth cheecking the ECU model to see what management it runs,i have never taken one out, mine arrived on a pallet with loads of loomage,but still bits missing!!

I'd change the cambelt and tensioner maybe too,just to be on the safe side,doodle once the engines out

Sam.

Cool cheers,

Yeah was thinking of doing a head rebuild anyway, new HG valve stem seals etc, if it's got no history.

Points noted :blush:

Veero

Super Josh

How much are you paying for it? At that sort of mileage it will need a rebuild. Worth ditching the standard turbo/manifold and fitting an aftermarket ECU too.

Josh

jacobs53

yeah 100k miles will definitly need a rebuild....

if it does have the keypad installed, take it out and use it on the conversion, it a piece of cake to wire back in, and gives you a little bit more security. Quick way to check the engine is to take off a boost hose and check of oil, if there is any leave well alone! unless your putting a new turbo unit on. also check the MAP sensor hose for oil, as if oil is in here it will have knackered the sensor.

Other than that do a quick compression test, and a test drive.

lee

DrSeuss

being an auto it might well have properly awkward wiring. On most cars the auto box is inextricably linked with the ecu in various ways. Whether thats the case on this car. Well, i guess your the lucky person who gets to find out.

jacobs53

I also took my engine from a 605 auto, no problems with wiring.... there is 1 brown multi-plug which attches to the box but it can be removed.... and also there is 1 pin-out on the ecu which just needs disconnecting

cheers lee

Veero

Well it's on an extreme budget to start with, and I won't be paying an awful lot for it ;) . There's no indication that with a battery it won't work.

Taking the keypad sounds like a good idea if it has one.

Good to hear about it being an auto not being a problem.

Will check the boost hoses, and take my comp tester with (if I can find it :blink: )

Was looking at full head rebuild, and provided liner protrudence (can't think of the right word) and compression test is good, just do the big end bearings too?

As for now it would be running standard, perhaps in future put a new (bigger?) turbo on and an aftermarket ECU. Also what box would I be looking to slap on this?

Cheers for the pointers.

Veero

DrSeuss

at 100k, the only part of the engine seriously worth worrying about is the turbo. Most of the rest of the engine will probably be fine.

Sign in to follow this