• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Starter Relay On Engine Loom.

Mad Professor

Hi All.

On my Turbo Technics loom I have a relay when it's disconected the starter will not work.

Starter%20Relay.jpg

Up the other end of the loom where Turbo Technics had the wiring for the 5th injector is the other end of the two black wires going to the relay.

Starter%20Relay%20Loom.jpg

As you can see thay have just cut the wires and added a relay down the line.

But when you put the two blue wire how thay are ment to be and turn the key the starter still will not crank, but the fuel pump primes.

I want to try and remove as many wires and or relays from my engine bay & looms, as half of them will not be needed when I change over to the MegaSquirt loom.

Thanks for your time.

DrSeuss

i believe that relay was an attempt to decrease problems caused by the brown multiplug. Taking a feed direct from the battery to ensure problem free starting.

Mad Professor

Is there anyway I can get rid of this?

So fair in the last year, I have had one relay burn out, one short keeping the starter cranking, & one just died, I am on number 4 relay.

DrSeuss

Since your building a new loom. Just do without it when you come to replace the loom. The starter solenoid feed under the dash is suitably fused etc. to cope with the load put upon it. Its just the brown multiplug which causes problems. Don't reinstate the brown multiplug....

Mad Professor

So your saying I could remove the relay now, but remove the wires from the multiblock, and just solder said wires togeather?

DrSeuss

I'm trying to picture it in my head.

Solder the (green) cut wire together and ensure it has continuity with the starter motor solenoid. i'm guessing he's earthed the other end of the green wire.

The two black wires will be the relay triggers (probably why its burning out, lots of current goes to the solenoid, burning out the relay coil). the red and white wires will be the connections to the battery and starter solenoid.

Bridge the black wire from the bulkhead side of the wiring loom (ie the one coming from inside the car) with the wire going to the starter solenoid.

Argh i'm getting confused as you can either put in a new wire (probably easiest) or try to re-instate peugeot's original wiring (probably neatest).

Let me know which you'd prefer and i'll see what i can suggest.

Either way, its not going to be an amazing long term solution.

Mad Professor

I take it you mean thease two Brown Multiplugs.

059.jpg

Witch one so i need to get to, the small or big one?

Does anyone know what the wire number is, as where thay have cut it has no wire number(s).

Edited by Mad Professor

DrSeuss

Right, in a normal 205 that fat green wire goes from under the dash in one of those multiplugs.

Under dash ----> through bulkhead ---> brown multiplug on gearbox ----> starter motor solenoid

In your 205

Under dash ----> through bulkhead ---> cut wire

cut wire ---> relay

Relay

From battery ----> relay ----> starter solenoid

you basically want to re-instate the standard circuit removing the relay wiring and making sure the green wire has continuity with the gearbox.

Mad Professor

Ah brown multiplug by gearbox, Righto.

I will go and have a look in a mo.

Thanks.

jackherer

firstly remove the relay and the four wires attached to it totally (two black, one red and one white). The red and white wires will be connected to the battery + and - and the two black ones both go to the blue solenoid feed wire.

secondly rejoin the two bits of blue wire where they have been cut and spliced to the black wires.

you're now back at the standard pug setup.

what green wire are you on about Sam? looks blue to me?

DrSeuss

My bad, it is blue i'm being colour blind.

I think you'll probably find the blue wire has been unplugged at some point meaning it no longer goes to the solenoid (replaced instead with the relay wires).

Mad Professor

Thanks guys, all sorted now.

Well sort of.

I linked the two black wires togather, and used my voltmeter wires to help the power flow tho the multiblock, and she cranked fine.

I disconected the multiblock, and she is badly coroded.

Thanks again for your help.

Mad Professor

Arrrrggggg B)

Fecking think.

I cut out all the rotted wire from the engine bay, replaced it, bypassing the Brown Multiblock.

Turn the key and she started 1st time.

Later on the wife says we need to go shopping so ok, we get in the car she starts, we get our shopping get in the car turn the key, and guess what no go. :)

Sign in to follow this