• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Soundproofing

gti_al

I've just ripped out the red carpet (to be replaced with black) and i'm wondering what to do with the underlay stuff... It is in perfect condition, but it is also bloody heavy.

I would imagine that removing it would make the carpet feel pretty hard and nasty, but i really don't want all that weight.

I'm wondering whether there is a lighter underlay around that still feels decent. Has anybody found one? Or should i just not worry about it feeling crap and put the new carpet in?

gti_al

It looks as though i was searching for the wrong thing before, as i just found heaps of responses.

Anyway, i might just leave it as it is all in good condition, and finding a lighter alternative sounds difficult...

sherly

It's a surprise that it's in good nick and hasnt turned into a soggy, smelly mess like all of the underlay I've ever dealt with in a 205. B)

Mart :(

gti_al
It's a surprise that it's in good nick and hasnt turned into a soggy, smelly mess like all of the underlay I've ever dealt with in a 205. B)

Mart :(

I was suprised too. It is absolutely dry, and the floor is spottless - it is seriously unmarked!

Mind you, it is a queensland car so it has had plenty of sun...

jonD6B

If you're removing the carpets anyway I would personally take all of the underlay out because as you said all of it as a mass is really quite heavy. It may sound like a stupid idea but what about using bubble wrap as underlay? It weighs nothing and unless you apply pressure to each actual bubble individually it is actually difficult to birst after all people use it to protect valuable items because of its properties. Plus it's waterproof and won't soak up any water increasing weight and smell.

O.K. you can stop laughing now, it was only a thought! :(B)

C_W

I'd only say its "relatively" heavy in that it does a good job for its weight and taking it out will increase noise and vibration quite a bit. Any weight it does have is also very low down too.

Guest eddscruff

Where did you get the black carpet from? Price?

gti_al
Where did you get the black carpet from? Price?

Me? it should be free, but i would imagine that my location would make this a fairly useless guide to their value... It is actually out of a base model, which is about to be scrapped.

And the idea of bubble wrap is amusing, although i don't know if i would trust it... It seems that to fulfill its role underlay needs to be heavy, so i'll probably just leave it there. (or maybe throw out the back section)

Sign in to follow this