• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Help! Steam!!

bitchass 205

Well i've a problem!!

I've noticed lately that there is smoke/steam coming from under the bonnet. I lifted the bonnet to find the top of the rad steaming like a bitch. I checked the oil filler cap and expansion tank for all the usual signs of head gasket failure but they were fine. The car doesn't leak any oil or water, garage floor is bone dry. The temperature doesn't rise rapidly when in traffic. A few months ago, however, the fan didn't come on while i was in traffic and hasn't worked since. To be honest i haven't let the car heat up too much to ttry. Do i need a new rad and coolant flush??

Any help would be greatfully received. B):)

Pugnut

i've seen rads leak steam when up to temp . well corroded and just away to throw thier hand in , they dont leak water on the floor or anything .

you must have to top the water up occasionally though?? once its up to temp you should see the steam ??? it could also be a perished hose or bad join ???

you are the only one who can find the leak!!

PS , when posting topics could you give a better description of the problem on the topic title please :D

ashlee205gti

Agreed with above, mine used to steam like this when it was up to temparature. Its almost certainly a knackered radiator, however it might be worth double checking your hoses are on nice and tight and theres no leaking at the joins.

Fix the fan sooner rather then later aswell, you can use the internal fan on full whack it things get a little to hot whilst sat in traffic but it gets a little uncormfortable after a while!

Edited by ashlee205gti

pug_ham

Moisture in the rad fin's that turns to steam when the thermnostat opens & allows water into the rad, shouldbe nothing to worry about imo as long as you aren't loosing water from a leaky rad.

Did youget it hot enough for the fan to cut in? The guage has to go pretty far round usually. To test your fan there is a three pinned brown plug loose by the radiator (usually) that comes from the back of the radiator temp switch & if you bridge the centre pin to either side the fan will run, either slow or fast.

Graham.

bitchass 205
Moisture in the rad fin's that turns to steam when the thermnostat opens & allows water into the rad, shouldbe nothing to worry about imo as long as you aren't loosing water from a leaky rad.

Did youget it hot enough for the fan to cut in? The guage has to go pretty far round usually. To test your fan there is a three pinned brown plug loose by the radiator (usually) that comes from the back of the radiator temp switch & if you bridge the centre pin to either side the fan will run, either slow or fast.

Graham.

I check the garage floor every mornng and there is no sign of the rad leaking, so it could be the moisture on fins. However, when i had a look at the rad on sunday it did have a slight wet patch at the top where the steam was coming out.

The fan hasn't come on for months, the reason for this is because i was running down the mortorway at a steady speed and when i came to a stop the engine heated up as normal but when it reached the point when the fan should come in didn't. The fan had worked up to this point. I haven't let the engine get hot enough to turn the fan on since then. Been using the old 205 trick of turning on internal fan!!!! (and looking very red faced!!!!) :D:D

tom_m

this is quite common on mine, its just standing water steaming off the radiator as it heats up as stated above; mine does it all the time, nothing to worry about at all, unless you're losing water.

bitchass 205

Well just got a call from the garage and the guys did a pressure test on the head and rad............................new rad!!!! Thank the 205 lord!!! Thanks for your help guys. :D:D

jim205GTI

i know mine did this ................ had a habit of doing it when i was next to someone in a queue of traffic and they'd all be pointing ...even had one bloke come out and tell me!! :( i knew the rad was knackered but it didn't leak so .................. ;)

Sign in to follow this