• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Homemade Oil Catch Can/tank

yorkshirekowboy
Bought mine, but someone on Scoobynet made this one from a water bottle and plumbing bits:

oilcatch.jpg

oilcatch_filter.jpg

sorry mate if being silly, so the two clear pipes, where are they best to be lead to on a 8v 1.9. ??

max0
sorry mate if being silly, so the two clear pipes, where are they best to be lead to on a 8v 1.9. ??

breather2.gif

yorkshirekowboy
breather2.gif

good lad cheers mate, may have to come round and show you it when its all homemade and working :P

Rik
breather2.gif

Should the drain not be going back into the sump?

Rik

tom_m
breather2.gif

thats a 16v not an 8v! on an 8v you just need to take one pipe off the large outlet on the oil filler cap and block off everything else that goes to it.

and no i wouldn't recommend the drain being plumbed back to the sump, its nasty shiznit you collect in a catch tank, and it won't do you any favours letting back into the oil.

Dream Weaver
Should the drain not be going back into the sump?

Rik

No, as any cack would then drain back to the engine oil - that is my diagram that I made formy setup, and the catch tank doesn't get much gunk inside it.

Trick

cheers for the search function!!

i still havent got round to fitting my catch tank, but time is right now that ive sorted the other stuff out...

...Re: the pic showing the 16v ...at the bottom of the pipe that goes from the filler into the crank case, this joins up to a thick pipe that also has another pipe on it (running from rocker cover), bit like a T-piece.

I guess i would therefore need to block off the end of this T? or replace the pipe completely?

s16 Peggy

Useful thread this as I will soon be fitting a catch tank to my S16.

Cheers :(

Guest DanielVTS

Yup, a lot of what gets collected in a catch tank can be water vapour, you really don't want that in your sump. Keep an eye on the level and the contents, can give early signs of an expiring engine before it gets REALLY expensive!

Edited by DanielVTS

Jesper Cronelid

Hehe, this is my catchtank:

catchtank.jpg

Sign in to follow this