• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Homemade Oil Catch Can/tank

Jonmurgie

Am still waiting for my alloy catch tank from Forge so in the mean time to get my car running I was going to cobble something together... I've seen a few different homemade ones over the years but not really paid much attention to them, until now!

Basically I just need to take the outlet from the rocker cover and the oil filler cap and put them somwhere... so anyone got any short-term ideas?

Cheers

Jon

DrSeuss

coke bottle venting to air.

christopher

I favour the Orange Fanta myself....Been using it for a year now and is 30mm full. Works a treat. Pipe goes into a home at the side and teh vapour bounces off teh side of the bottle. Bottle is held by some flexible metal straps

Edited by christopher

Jonmurgie

OK, so a pop bottle will do the trick... have you plumbed both of those pipes into a single bottle? Do either of you have pics of your setups?

Dream Weaver

Bought mine, but someone on Scoobynet made this one from a water bottle and plumbing bits:

oilcatch.jpg

oilcatch_filter.jpg

Alastairh

Read Mankee's artical in the latest PPC if you've got it about mate.

Jonmurgie

Ah, just been over to Forge and they've done mine now so I have a smart alloy one now!

rossimura

Daft question but is it the bigger of the 2 pipes off the oil filler cap that goes to the catch tank ??? or both ???

a picture would be nice for simple folk like me-self

Jonmurgie

It's the outlet from the actual filler cap itself that goes to the catch tank, here's my tank fitted and the pipework etc.:

progress40.jpg

pugrallye

They are supposed to be put in line of the oil breather pipe (crankcase) but i suppose with adaption you can use the two inlets of the tank to run two different breather outlets to, but have to make sure the tank cannot pressurise at all

dodsworth_gti

this my seem stupid,but, i dont know lots about performance engines e.c.t,just basic stuff,could someone tell me what a oil catch tank does please!!!thank you

Jonmurgie
Daft question but is it the bigger of the 2 pipes off the oil filler cap that goes to the catch tank ??? or both ???

a picture would be nice for simple folk like me-self

Ah, I'm being stupid and just reliased that an 8v has 2 outlets on the oil filler cap... it's the smaller pipe you want to take to a catch tank :blush:

this my seem stupid,but, i dont know lots about performance engines e.c.t,just basic stuff,could someone tell me what a oil catch tank does please!!!thank you

The 205 has a standard breather from the oil cap and rocker cover that are feedback into the intake system, this works fine. However, when you think about it you don't really want oil messing up the fuelling etc. so often people fit a 'catch tank' and pump the crank case and filler cap breathers to the tank, which 'catches' the oil vapors. Hope that explains it a little bit for you :P

dodsworth_gti

so would i benifit from one of these???

Jonmurgie

I think that probably depends on the spec of your engine... and what you use the car for... so enlighten us B)

pug309twin40s

when your running the standard injection system the breathers are connected to the inlet manifold and blow bk into the engine.

But when you change from the injection to carbs or throttle bodies as jon has you have no where to plump the breathers bk into the engine so they just blow into the engine bay which can make a horrible mess which is why you put a catch tank in so it catches all the stuff that comes out the breathers and keep the engine bay cleaner.

Guest abmotorsport

Many yeqars ago we designed on that thats away the filler pipe and breather system, it sits very nicely on the inner wing where the washer bottle normally sits (This needs junking and use the rear washer bottle as the front screen) it is a kit of parts inc the pipes etc.

It becomes the filler and breather in one, gets more room around the inlet manifold and starter area, returns directly to the sump and rocker cover with a sperate breather.

Edited by cybernck

dodsworth_gti

well i got motorbike carb conversion

piper 285 cam

stage 1 head

rossimura

Cheers for that, will make one up..

I intend to take the rocker cover one to the catch tank as well.

I quiet like that alloy water bottle idea, and I'm sure I've got a wee air filter somewhere for a breather.

Jonmurgie

The rocker cover breather also goes to the tank... just doesn't look like it in my pic :)

Rik

Jon, did you just give Forge a design and they made it for you? How much was it if you dont mind?

Rik

putang

What are the dimensions of the tank you have, and the pipe sizes for the hoses. I could make these no problem and sell them for cost to guy on here. Could even get them anadised (spelling) powder coated etc.

Longun

Just to dig up an old thread and using searching as it should :angry:

Can I block the second outlet from the oil filler cap? I understand from this thread I need to use the little outlet is this right too?

Thanks

filler.jpg

Jonmurgie

Yes you can block one off and it doesn't matter which one really as they both do the same thing :angry:

good use of the search too :)

Longun

Cheers again Jon :) Will PM you about that oil cooler in a few weeks got some other stuff to sort first. Thanks again :(

Runs to spar for a bottle of coke :D Carbs are getting dirty :angry:

Sign in to follow this