• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Tu5 Iron Block In A 205

christopher

I was stripping a TU24 engine and a TU5j4 block (from a 106 Gti) and seeing if I can transfer bits across.

The main issue I have seen seems like the iron TU5 block is shorter then the TU24 block. In addition to this the water pump on the TU5 is is screwed into the block. Whereas on a TU24 alloy block this is contained in a cast housing that is bolted to the block (which also doubles as an engine mount).

So there are a few of you that have TU5 engines in a 205 (some 8V and some 16V). How have you solved the problem with the engine mount?

I know Sam has a custom one but what about the rest? How am I going to solve this?? Is there a standard one that fits?

Sandy

When you say the TU24 block is taller, do you mean overall, or from the crank centre line?

The Iron block has an alloy engine mount casting the bolts on where the water pump housing goes on the alloy block. the rest is the same.

Sam's custom one was to improve the clearance for the twin DCOE inlet manifold.

christopher
When you say the TU24 block is taller, do you mean overall, or from the crank centre line?

The Iron block has an alloy engine mount casting the bolts on where the water pump housing goes on the alloy block. the rest is the same.

Sam's custom one was to improve the clearance for the twin DCOE inlet manifold.

Ok I only measured roughly..you are right I should measure from the crank I'll do that...for the rest look at the photos...You understand what I mean? Are you saying that I use teh standard 106 mount in a 205?

T1_813_1120362.jpg

T1_813_1120353.jpg

T1_813_1120354.jpg

T1_813_1120357.jpg

Edited by christopher

Sandy

The bit that bolts to the block on the 106, and the normal 205 TU top arm bit.

stu_woac

yes the arm that unbolts from the top of the tu3 bolts straight to the tu5 unsure on the tu24 as this would be different for the carbs right??

christopher
yes the arm that unbolts from the top of the tu3 bolts straight to the tu5 unsure on the tu24 as this would be different for the carbs right??
'

Yes the ally water pump casting on the TU24 is special because it allows room for the twin 40's. and this has a plate with 3 studs that screw up into the mount I suppose.

Now I am just wondering if the 106 mount will allow for the twin 40's. Being a slightly different configuration then Sams (I have a longer inlet tract) .

Does anyone have any pics of the 106 mount?

Sam

Don't know about the longer inlet tract? I'm not sure how different the inlet on the TU24 is though.

But you will have issues with your inlet and clearance for the engine mount. You'll have to test fit it and see really.

TB_205GTI

What bout the mount from a 205 forever? It uses the 1.4 TU with iron block. A mate is using this engine in a 205 with the Rallye webers.

DaveW

whats a 205 forever....??

Hilgie

one of the latest 205s (1996/1998)

christopher
What bout the mount from a 205 forever? It uses the 1.4 TU with iron block. A mate is using this engine in a 205 with the Rallye webers.

Who is that Pete? Do you know what mount he is using?

TB_205GTI
Who is that Pete? Do you know what mount he is using?

It's André from hi-speed (think his name is Andre205xs), dunno about the mount, but he can shoot some pictures of it if you like.

DaveW
one of the latest 205s (1996/1998)

ah we dont have them over here in the uk, all the late 205's that age where autos....

christopher

Ok it has just occured to me that the Rallye uses a GTI shell. So I reckon the genine mount is in the XU location and not the TU location. So none of the above methods will fit :(

Anyone confirm?? Back to the drawing board ;)

Sam

The euro rallye runs a weird mount position like the old XY engines, unfortunately not the same as UK Rallye and TU/XU models.

Sign in to follow this