• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mankee

Newbie Gearbox Help

Mankee

Hi all. This is my first technical post on Drivers so please be gentle. I've had a hunt around for related topics but nothing hugely relevant came up.

First of all, dumbass question, where is the gearbox code on BE3 boxes? I've found various numbers like "17FJ" on one gearbox but it doesn't correlate with anything on the parts CD as far as I can tell. It's got a 16x65 final drive though.

Secondly, I'm having issues with a 1991 1.6 GTi box on an Mi16 engine. The box has been apart to be checked out and have a plate LSD fitted. The box started developing noises in 5th, eventually causing it to pop out of 5th and completely pack up. It's now sat on the drive and, even when idling in neutral with the clutch engaged, it sounds like a bag of spanners!

I've checked out some bulletins at my mates' workshop from Citroen ZX days and found that the two big nuts on the ends of the input and output shafts tend to come loose, causing popping out of 5th and a buzzing type noise. I think I have this problem. Hopefully I have this problem. I don't really want to take the box off if I don't have to! Has anyone else had this problem which was fixed by a new nut(s) on the end of the input shaft?

Cheers for any help in advance. :ph34r:

M@tt

The only gearbox code you'll find will be around the diff cover & it'll only say Be3 & 30', afaik the casing doesn't give any further information about the box.

Miles is the man to ask about the other problems, our resident gherbox guru.

Mankee

Really? Cripes. At least both of the boxes I have are "XU30 BE3".

What about when people talk about "CA80" or something like that? There's got to be another way of identifying a gearbox apart from taking it all apart. MA boxes have codes stamped on the casing.

Anthony
There's got to be another way of identifying a gearbox apart from taking it all apart. MA boxes have codes stamped on the casing.

Out of the factory there's a sticker on them which identifies the gearbox, but that sticker has long since departed company with the gearbox on 99% of 205's out there.

jonD6B

Counting the teeth will tell you or a speed for revs test. There is a link still active I think where I posed a similar question.

Mankee

Cheers for the help. It gives me an idea of how to go about looking for second hand boxes if ever the case arises. I think praying is part of the plan. :D

Miles

with a 16x65 CWP it stands a good chance of being a 1.6 GTi box

All BE3 boxes should have BE3 TT stamped on them by the gearbox mounting stud area and BE3 by the lower Diff part of the box.

The nut's you talk about do come loose but they can also wreck the spline on the Input shaft so this is worth checking as well.

Sign in to follow this