• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SamGTi

Quickshift Question

SamGTi

I am thinking of getting a quickshift gear linkage for my 1.9 GTi. Just wondered what everybody regards as the best one or best value for money (I don't wanna spend loads on it!). I have heard conflicting reports on the GE one from the many searches I have undertaken on this site but it's only £20 so might be worth looking at. What do you lot think?

p.s. yes, I have searched as I mentioned above but all of the posts are pretty old now and I wanted some modern, up-to-date advice!

Jonmurgie

Well if your handy with a welder then you can knock one up yourself for feck all... if not then you have the choice of buying a replacement 'L' piece from some places (Rally Design for example) though these are a set amount of shortness, the GE one that clamps on the end of the standard 'L' piece and is fully adjustable (this is what I personally have), and there is the one that Miles does which is a replacement gear leaver so works in a compleltey different way to the others...

Which is best is always going to be a matter of opinion... I'm very happy with my GE one and haven't had a single issue with it :)

Simes

I've got the original GE quickshift and rods and have had for about 4 years, it's good but I find it makes changing 1 to 2 not as light as t he OE one. This is now with my new gearbox also and clutch.

Miles's unit works on a different principle, I'd think about getting this one.

Edited by Simes

dodsworth_gti

been thinking about getting one of these aswell

Paintguy

I have one of the modified gearlevers that Miles supplies, and am very happy with it. An accurate change (despite my crunchy gearbox) that doesn't feel like it's been in any way modified, just a shorter throw :blink:

I can't speak for the GE one, as I never fitted the one I ordered, but it does look well made.

Edited by Paintguy

Guest andy309goodwood

i have the full ge kit and sware by it

absolutly love it and wouldent change it for the world and the best bit is if you dont like the thro the first setting is near as damn it the same as oe i have mine set on the 3rd setting but you could go to the forth if your insane and want a thro of about an ince between 1 and 2 lol

RobMGti

I had one made up by a fabricator, good and short B)

Just how it should be

hodgy

ive got one n they are mint only prob i have is its a bit stiff n the gears are a lil too close sometimes

Miles

I even make the gearlinkages now,

steige

I've got a modified gearlever (thanks Miles) Can I use this along with the modified L shaped linkage.

Will i need shorter linkages?

Miles

Just sell your old modd 'L' and just use the lever, The rods are the same thou-out so no problems there.

I've found that the gearbox Synco's fail quicker with the use of the modded 'L' due to the extra leverage put onto the box

rescue dude

I want a quik shift for my 1.9 8v 205 but i have a full Magnex exhaust and i was told that i wouldn't get one to fit!!!!

Any ideas?

steige
Just sell your old modd 'L' and just use the lever, The rods are the same thou-out so no problems there.

I've found that the gearbox Synco's fail quicker with the use of the modded 'L' due to the extra leverage put onto the box

I don't have a standard "L" to go on though. Are you saying that i can't use both?

Adam B

Rescue-dude,

Dont see why a quickshift (like the full griffiths kit (other kits are available lol)) would foul your magnex..

I mean it works at the moment right? all you're doing is changing the angles of the L shaped bit a tad.

Very worthwhile changing the balljoint on the subframe at the same time (use some threadlock on that though).

A new L bit helps as they do tend to wear out around the 22/24mm bolt, making changes crap.

Deffo worthwhile getting the full rod kit. You can also chop off the top of the gear stick if you're feeling very very cheap....

regs

Adam

Edited by Adam B

Rippthrough

;)-->

QUOTE(Adam B @ Jan 30 2006, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can also chop off the top of the gear stick if you're feeling very very cheap....

:(

pug_ham
I don't have a standard "L" to go on though. Are you saying that i can't use both?
Yes, one of Miles quickshift levers & a shortened L bracket won't work, the rod from the gearstick & the down pipe have quite serious clearance issues.

Graham.

engine killer

am using the TAS quickshift lever. there is a small hole on the rod (found it on all pug 205/309 quickshift lever as well) and it broke from there. welded it, sleeved a stainless steel tube and prox-glued them together. don't really think the TAS's quickshift is really a durable product.

Guest clarky205

I have the GE rods on my rally car and they are sooooo much better than the original ones!!!

Miles can i have some more info on your lever as it sounds interesting, dont want the throw to be to short but a bit closer would be nice!!

Jonmurgie
I want a quik shift for my 1.9 8v 205 but i have a full Magnex exhaust and i was told that i wouldn't get one to fit!!!!

Any ideas?

I had a GE Quickshift fitted to my 1.9 8v and had a magnex manifold..... it was close, but they never ever touched so it's NOT a problem, you will get it on :(

Miles

Well the std quickshift we just mod the lower gearlever, But we can also offer a lengthened gearlever so it's by the steering wheel level by modding the main shaft which the gearlever pivots on, It works well and makes you think that your in a Works car !! but it's all down to personal preferance as some people like it and others don't

steige
Yes, one of Miles quickshift levers & a shortened L bracket won't work, the rod from the gearstick & the down pipe have quite serious clearance issues.

Graham.

Ok cheers i'll need to get hold of one of those. Is there some kind of bush at the bottom of the "L" arm that i can replace while i'm at it, to tighten things up even more.

Martin@PRD
Ok cheers i'll need to get hold of one of those. Is there some kind of bush at the bottom of the "L" arm that i can replace while i'm at it, to tighten things up even more.

Yes, they are called top hat bushes I have a bag of them on my bench 32p each :o

Miles

Another item I will be looking at supplying a proper bearing for as the plastic bush melts under the heat of the exhaust manifold

Martin@PRD

Yes I have all ready looked in to this last year and what you need is oil-lite brass sleaves as ballraced type are useless even the full steel type

The nylon bushes last years anyway at 32p each who's moaning???,

Miles

Well they only last a couple of races (with a few 205's we run) and always have play in them, before they Almost melt down due to the heat

So this will be a good litlle mod to get all the play out of the gearchange

Sign in to follow this