• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamieTonks

What Aftermarket Management Could I Use On A 1.9 Tt 205.

JamieTonks

What are my choices. I want to run aftermarket so i can use 4 bigger injectors and have it mapped decent. But what are my choices and whats the cheapest i can get away with

Jamie

M3Evo

Guess the cheapest would be Megasquirt 'n' spark?

The choices are pretty endless though, depending on budget :rolleyes:

DrSeuss

megasquirt is the cheapest.

Other then that. Everything is much of a muchness. Loads of people go for emerald but really kms or dta are both roughly equivalent.

JamieTonks

what kind of price would i be looking at

DrSeuss

Depends on how much DIY your willing to do. Megasquirt is cheap because you do alot yourself. The issue most people have is with making a loom to fit it. But your looking at around 400 quid fitted with a wb02 sensor. This allows you to map it yourself. If you don't want to map it yourself. Your looking at a maximum of 200 quid delivered (plus the cost of making the loom)

Its as much a learning experience as an ecu so shouldn't just be thought of as 'cheap'.

M3Evo

Couple of people on a beemer forum I'm on are raving about the self mapping functions of their megasquirts (they've got turbo 325s too :rolleyes: )

Apparently you can tell it what you want the AFR to be for any given load and speed site and it'll work towards that. Sounds good to me!

DrSeuss

yes, in terms of functionality its top bollocks really. There isn't an ecu on the market that will match its flexibility (the joys of open source software).

pdd144c
Couple of people on a beemer forum I'm on are raving about the self mapping functions of their megasquirts (they've got turbo 325s too :) )

But surely it can only self map the fueling side of things and not the ignition? Which means it still needs to go on the rollers? Had a long conversation with Dave Walker about this when I was up at Emerald.

Which ever way you go Jamie the loom will be the most time consuming part of the job. Are you going to do it yourself? I went the Emerald route at the time as there was more support for it over anything else at the time. And the mapping costs were very good too.

petert
But surely it can only self map the fueling side of things and not the ignition? Which means it still needs to go on the rollers?

That's right. Despite what any back yarder says, the only way to properly do the ignition is on the rollers, watching the torque. And to do it really well, you need at least 0.5 deg. resolution in the software.

Then of course the two are interelated. As you apply advance you use up fuel, and vice versa. So in reality, auto mapping is good for a quick setup, either on the road or the rollers. Ideally you'd finish the dyno session with an auto map to confirm.

Edited by petert

DrSeuss

Yes, i totally agree. You can't get any more then a loose approximation of an ignition map on the road. And i'd always look at spending time on a rolling road to get it right.

But you will still save a few hours of mapping time by auto mapping the fuelling. I plan on ringing round a load of mappers to find who is 'megasquirt friendly'. Many of them are glorified mechanics and fear change.

pdd144c

Its just quite a few people dont seem to know this. They think they can just drive up the road a get the perfect map instantly.

Be interesting to see how many tuners are 'megasquirt friendly'. Its only a matter of time before they will all have to be to cope with the increase in demand I guess.

Sign in to follow this