• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rippthrough

Mintex Shims

Rippthrough

The 1144's on my car have started squeeling at low speeds, didn't get any shims whith them, but I remember someone saying they would send you a set out if you e-mailed them?

Can anyone remember who to e-mail?

pacey205

Rallydesign sent some out to me although i did buy them from them though, might be worth atry.

Michael

Rippthrough
Rallydesign sent some out to me although i did buy them from them though, might be worth atry.

Michael

So did I :P

Problem is they're that busy at the minute they're hard to get hold of :S

Edited by Rippthrough

DrSeuss

Give the back of the pads a blast with copper grease. Being sure to not contaminate the pad surface or the rubber seals.

Super Josh
Give the back of the pads a blast with copper grease. Being sure to not contaminate the pad surface or the rubber seals.

Unfortunately the usual copper grease trick doesn't work on the 1144s. I suffered from the same problem and, either i've gone deaf( highly likely at my senior years :P ) or they've eventually bedded in. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the shims.

Josh

Rippthrough

I've e-mail them and TDM too.

Probably didn't get the shims as according to the box the pads were made in '03! :P

C_W

I've never had problems with squealling 1144s, they are quite a soft pad anyway and I've never liked the look of using the backing pads as they look as though they'd take some brake feel away.

Rippthrough
I've never had problems with squealling 1144s, they are quite a soft pad anyway and I've never liked the look of using the backing pads as they look as though they'd take some brake feel away.

Just given 'em some stick down a b-road, and the squealings gone. :o

Guest rick03054

Are these the things you're meaning?

SP_A0118.jpg

If it is I have 6 and your welcome to them.

Edited by rick03054

Rippthrough
Are these the things you're meaning?

SP_A0118.jpg

If it is I have 6 and your welcome to them.

I think those are the ones, yes!

Guest rick03054

PM me your address and I'll get them in the post then. :o

Rippthrough
PM me your address and I'll get them in the post then. :D

PM'd.

IOU - 1 pint of the lands finest. :o

saveloy

If you can't get hold of the shims,you can try something from Bendix called Blue Goo,I think. You smear it on and once it sets,is similar to the backing pads.

Personally,I would forego both and cut up some 1.5/2mm stainless steel sheet and fit these behind the pads. Far more effective and you get the benefit of less heat dissipation through the calipers.

Rippthrough
If you can't get hold of the shims,you can try something from Bendix called Blue Goo,I think. You smear it on and once it sets,is similar to the backing pads.

Personally,I would forego both and cut up some 1.5/2mm stainless steel sheet and fit these behind the pads. Far more effective and you get the benefit of less heat dissipation through the calipers.

There's no room for them, there's only about 2mm of space left, don't think a 1mm sheet would do much.

Went down for some tyre prices today, and the bloke told me I'd need new pads and discs as the old ones are squeeling and down to the backing plate, and he couldn't let me go back out on the road with them like that.... :D:D

Needless to say I didn't buy my tyres there after that!

Rippthrough

Arrived this morning Rick - thanks!

I gave the OAP the drink as requested, unfortunatly, that combined with competely silent brake pads mean that not only did she fall into the road, she didn't hear me coming.

On the other hand I did get her pension book before the ambulance men noticed.

Sign in to follow this