• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Deano1.6

Gear Change Issues, Any Ideas?

Deano1.6

I've got a 88/F 1.6 with the BE3 gearbox, about 4000 miles ago i had a full engine rebuild and the gearbox was cleaned and new oil put in and a new clutch,and a GE set of rods and a quickshift, recently it has started getting difficult to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear and reverse after about 20mins of driving, so whens its hot. i was advised that i would need a new driveshaft in the near future when i had the rebuild and i'm starting to hear a knock now so could the gearbox problem be related to that?

any ideas would be appriecated.

Cheers

jackherer

the driveshaft isn't likely to affect gearchanges. maybe the clutch cable needs readjusting, is the biting point particularly low by any chance? where does the pedal sit?

are you sure its a be3 box? an '88 should have had a be1 from the factory and the clutch arms on top of be1 boxes have a tendency to fatigue and bend which can cause this problem.

Deano1.6
the driveshaft isn't likely to affect gearchanges. maybe the clutch cable needs readjusting, is the biting point particularly low by any chance? where does the pedal sit?

are you sure its a be3 box? an '88 should have had a be1 from the factory and the clutch arms on top of be1 boxes have a tendency to fatigue and bend which can cause this problem.

The biting point is quite low, maybe i should get that adjusted and see if that makes any difference.

I think its a BE3, its a late 88, Reverse is left and up

Cheers

Simes
I think its a BE3, its a late 88, Reverse is left and up

Cheers

it's a BE1 you have.

BE3 is down below 5th. <_<

Miles

if you've got the GE quickshift this may be the cause as it put extra strain on the synco hubs and wears them out quicker, seen it a few times now,

But what grade of oil did you use?

jacobs53

i had a very similar problem to this on my old Tu engine.... i had a new clutch fitted aswell, i basically had the opposite to what you had... my gears were tight and crunching when cold but once warm they was fine... baffled me to this day, all i can put it down to is the clutch

lee

Guest sibbers

Can a worn syncro be alleviated of its problems with a change of oil?

I have the same gear box (up left is reverse) and I tightened the bolt underneath the exhaust manifold which did make things a lot better but there is still some amount of play - it amazes me how many links there are from gearstick to gearbox.

jonD6B

Can a worn syncro be alleviated of its problems with a change of oil?]

Not as far as I'm aware. Once the syncro has gone I think it has gone and they're damn expensive to buy. Might be worth considering a different box.

Richie-Van-GTi

Id try dumping the gearbox oil and putting the stuff in from pug. A lot of garages tend to put in cheap thin stuff, think its 15/80 or something. Maybe try putting a bit of molyslip gearbox additive in as well with it.

Sign in to follow this