• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
OlberJ

Replacing Standard Loom

OlberJ

Am looking at getting a new loom made up for the Mi16 and i think it's gonna cost about £150 - £200 all in.

Would i be aswell going for a KMS kit or the likes? Would this leave me the opportunity to upgrade to TB's on that management at a later date?

I know feck all about this but have read a little in the section. AM i right in thinking it'd be about £400 for the KMS set up?

kms prices

Or would i need the loom aswell, another £200?

Trying to rid the Mi of as much crappy wiring as possible.

Cheers,

petert
Trying to rid the Mi of as much crappy wiring as possible.

Cheers,

What's wrong with the Mi16 loom? I usually just cut off the Motronic ECU plug then graft on a new one.

cybernck

you'll need to pay VAT on top of any price i guess:

All prices are excluding VAT @ 17.5%

however, i don't know what sort of discount do we get on this to start with :huh:.

OlberJ
What's wrong with the Mi16 loom? I usually just cut off the Motronic ECU plug then graft on a new one.

Jus seems to me that the looms are always old and brittle and have caused (me atleast) a few woes. Not least when mine split, due to shorting and now i can't get the car to start.

I'm hoping a new loom would sort this out (along with new connectors and relays etc).

I think am gonna remove the one that's there and make a replica as per psychosimon's idea. Jus wondered if there was much more benefit in having an aftemarket system as i would be looking to upgrade at sum point, maybe bike TB's or the like.

Anyone used these systems and could compare what piece of (KMS kit or other) i would need to re-loom the Mi?

I think from what i read on that price list, if i get the 4 cylinder loom, that would take care of the engine side of things but doesn't include the ECU? Is that right?

Cheers,

DrSeuss

I think your underestimating the costs involved in going to KMS. The cost of an ecu, plus a loom, plus mapping is going to be around the 1k mark all said and done! A little less maybe. But for the gain of maybe 10hp on the ignition side if your lucky. Now if your running a significant cam upgrade then it makes more financial sense.

Otherwise i'd wait until you can complete the package (mainly to save on remapping costs).

Who can make you a loom for 150-200, thats a good price. I can make my own for around the 75-100 quid mark. But including the labour time it would take me that price is a bargain.

OlberJ
Who can make you a loom for 150-200, thats a good price. I can make my own for around the 75-100 quid mark. But including the labour time it would take me that price is a bargain.

Lol, i was referring to making my own for that price.

Would you be able to list me the parts needed, or show me where you got the parts to make a new loom? If it can be done for that price i'll defo do it myself.

I have the Mi16 loom that's in there at the moment to steal connectors, plugs and whatnot that i may need.

Cheers,

DrSeuss

i'm going on a rough estimate i did ages ago. I'm making up a loom for my megasquirt at some point. And fitting one to a mates 1.9mi so i'll let you know how it all goes. Along with posting some kind of thread about my progress.

The theory is simple, just run wires from A-B, once you have the engine loomed up, tape it up, cover it all in convoluted tubing and jobs a goodun.

Only area's to be wary of are Whether shielded wire is required. Whether the plug you need is moulded onto the loom (which quite a few are). And various colours of wire are suggested for decent fault finding.

If your re-using alot of plugs its just the cost of wire. And crimps to go into the plugs. Have a browse of www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk and contact simtek for anything not available through VWP. Simtek are so amazingly helpful over the phone i'd buy most of the stuff from them if there wasn't the price differential.

OlberJ

Ok, so simply taking the old one out, replicating it with the same colour and type of wire then soldering or crimping on the connectors?

Kewl, i want to make it a little longer aswell cos the one that's in just now is just a "little" too short.

I'll check out those links, cheers.

DrSeuss

you can buy the crimps that go into the original plugs which most people don't realise. On vehicle wiring products look at the junior timer housing section and the crimps for them should fit your mi16 loom plugs.

OlberJ

Are you not better to solder everything or is that just not an option?

DrSeuss

Solder is brittle and prone to cracking. For OE use uninsulated crimps. Going into the plugs themselves. It looks so much neater and is alot less prone to failure.

OlberJ

Cheers, and av jus found the money to buy the parts. I'll take the old loom out this weekend and see what i need to buy.

I'll try and make a guide as i go along.

Still reckon it'll cost about £100 if i use some of the connectors from the existing loom?

Sign in to follow this