• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim205GTI

Mi Conversion

jim205GTI

hoping to finally drop the mi and just have a few questions to ask about it

Due to lack of funds i might have to use the 1.9 8v loom (mi didn't come with loom) i know its not ideal but i would like to get the car running and it's not that much of a problem as the car will be used occasionally.

so with this in mind would i able to use the 8v afm or would i need to locate an mi one?

the mi doesn't use a sad so what could i do about the cold starting?

Cheers very much!!!

jim

Ahl

You could use the 8v afm along with the rest of the 8v setup, including the SAD.

You'd need a distributor adaptor though, which can cost a fair bit unless you get a second hand one.

Its up to you really, the cars never going to be right on 8v management. I'd hunt around for a cheap mi setup first.

jim205GTI

doing that at the mo!!! :huh:

but would need loom afm and idle control valve

Edited by jim205GTI

hman205

Jim i have an MI16 AFM if you cant get one of those but do find a loom is your lump 405 or BX?

jim205GTI

Mmmm if i remember rightly it's a 405 un but is there anyway i can defintely check this??

dee205

I don't think it matters if it's the BX 16v engine or the Mi16 engine. You just need to be sure you get a loom that matches the ECU. ie. 2 row or 3 row.

Damien

d-9

And if you get a 3 row system, you have to get the knock sensor which bolts onto the front of the block.

Doesnt matter which car your engine is from, but you can probably tell by looking at the clip for the throttle cable, if its on the top of the inlet mani then its a 405 engine, if its on the throttle body its a bx engine.

jim205GTI

the only thing i don't think i will like doing is all the pipwork :D bloody loads of it plus finding more things that i think will need replacing ie radiator <_< but as i see it , it will be a learning experience and i will have the satisfaction of me doing it........................ plus its the second car so it doesn't matter how long i take ^_^

:blush: Another question is that i know you can remove the gearbox whilst leaving the engine in the car but what about leaving the box in whilst the engine comes out????

Banjo

It's easier to drop the box out with the engine then take if off after.

Ben

d-9

Why would you want to leave the box in the car?

Pretty sure you couldnt, as theres not enough space in the engine bay to allow you to move the engine far enough that the input shaft for the box would come out of the engine.

jim205GTI

thought so but my curosity got the better of me so had to ask ;)

cheers!!

Sign in to follow this