• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Painting The Exterior Trim Black

Alan_M

Quickee...

I was in Halfords earlier buying some paint for my expectant exhaust, and was having a gander at the bumper paint. I've got a spare trim now, so will be looking at doing this very soon.

I know some have already done this but which paint do you use?

I ask this because the vinyl paint is double the price of the bumper paint!

Thanks

Alan :blink:

sam205gti

:huh: An important point though is that you do not need plastic primer, it is what halfords advised me and if you read the side of their plastic bumper paint can it does not state that it requires this.

The plastic primer is for example if you are colour coding a plastic bumper with paint that is designed to be used on metal.

Not useing primer cuts the cost of the job down a lot. The only reason why you may use primer in my opionion is if you have decided to completely smooth the archers.

The thing you might consider is useing something to clean the surfaces, halfords recomends surface wipes, this is to clean off grease that is likely to stop the paint sticking properly.

It is not vinyl paint you want.

Alan_M

Yeah, I read the article in which Robbie used Halfords Bumper paint. I'm sure PaintGuy and JonMurgie used Vinyl Paint though.

If the Bumper Paint can be used without primer with good results then i'll get that seeing as its half the price of the Vinyl Paint. <_<

DrSeuss

i'm sure i used bumper paint. Soaked into the plastic and was only a tenner in total.

GLPoomobile

I want to give my trim the nice 'new' black treatment (and yes, I have read about all the various bumper snots that people recommend, and the heat gun technique, so please don't bother mentioning it), so can someone confirm that it is definately the basic Bumper Paint that I need?

Also (and more importantly) I've not yet heard anyone confirm how long this treatment lasts for. Does painting work long term or does it flake and have to be redone every few months?

B1LLY

sorry to jump on the thread but i'll be doing mine in a couple of weeks ,so is it true that i can just rub down the bumpers and spray them black without spraying primer on them cheers

johnrobertgordon

I colour coded my bumpers and trims. I used plastic primer and then the same paint i used to respray the car. About 2 months down the line i took my 205 to work and used the jet wash to give it a clean, i ended up blowing most of the paint off my bumper and parts of the trim. I dont think the primer etched into the plastic properly, mabe due to me not doing a good enough job of removing the build up of bumper snot that had gathered over the years. I am going to have to rub them down again now and spray them with black bumper paint as colour coding looked s*ite anyway.

feb

Don't do it! The paint will start cracking once it is scratched. Keep it original :P

B1LLY

does anyone know how Robbie G 's trim is holding up (the one in the article)

Jonmurgie

I used this stuff:

pic23.jpg

And it looks like this:

pic21.jpg

Easy to apply as well, just wash the trim with warm soapy water then rinse. Just before painting then rub over with a degreaser (I used white spirit) and then away you go :)

And as a reminder, the before/after:

closer_left.jpg

Here's my thread if you fancy a look through: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=49207

And here's the page on my site with all the pics: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/trim.asp

It's so worth doing cause it makes the car look like new after :P

finished4.jpg

hmmmm... I miss that car, it looked so lush!

Alastairh

Yeah looking good Jon.

Currently toying with where ever i should go this method or just natural bumper snot for dinos old shell when i get it this week :P

Super Josh

I used this one mine about a year ago. Still looks as good as the day it was put on :( It soaks right into the trim and is just a flexable, so seems to make it very durable.

Josh

B1LLY
I used this stuff:

pic23.jpg

Easy to apply as well, just wash the trim with warm soapy water then rinse. Just before painting then rub over with a degreaser (I used white spirit) and then away you go :(

hmmmm... I miss that car, it looked so lush!

nice looking car mate

so did you have to rub down the paint at all with wet/dry before or after

did you use primer

did you use lacquer

Guest BrainFluid
Easy to apply as well, just wash the trim with warm soapy water then rinse. Just before painting then rub over with a degreaser (I used white spirit) and then away you go :)

Jonmurgie

Yeah, it's not a PAINT as such really... in that you don't rub down (which would smooth the trim and it wouldn't look OEM), don't use primer and don't use laquer. The guide on the main site is actually for 'smoothing & painting' so have a read of that if you want to change the car from the OEM look :)

Paintguy

I really must try and get on here more often.....

I used the same stuff as Jon and Josh, and it still looks great. The interior trim still looks mint, but it's faded slightly on the exterior. However, that's mainly due to the fact that I've only washed the car about 3 times this year :) , and the trim has only once had some 'snot' on it, for the Sheffield show.

As Jon says, just clean the trim, then clean the trim, then clean it some more before spraying this directly onto the plastic. Nothing else needed :) It'll only flake off if you've got any old 'back to black' type products or 'bumper snot' left on the plastic when you apply it.

Patches
Yeah, it's not a PAINT as such really... in that you don't rub down (which would smooth the trim and it wouldn't look OEM), don't use primer and don't use laquer. The guide on the main site is actually for 'smoothing & painting' so have a read of that if you want to change the car from the OEM look :)

Sold! Convinced me to do it now Jonmurgie! Be down to Halfords shortly :)

B1LLY

cheers for the info guys , been down to halfords earlier 9.99 a tin for the vinyl spray

thinking i'll be doing it this way

Jonmurgie

Took me about 2.5 tins I recall.. couple of coats on everything :)

Paintguy

If you're lucky, they may still be doing the 3 for 2 offer. :)

kyunis

Is it possible to spray the trim while on the car? Masking up other areas? Just seems to much taking it all off!

Thanks

pug_ham
Is it possible to spray the trim while on the car? Masking up other areas? Just seems to much taking it all off!

It is possible but it won't look anywhere near as good.

For the extra time you use masking the sides of the car up to avoid any overspray you could have the trim off & cleaned ready to paint imo.

Graham.

Jonmurgie

It's not difficult to get the archs and door trims off the car, a 20 minute job if that. I did the bumpers on the car as I didn't want to get into any issues removing them, takes a while to mask but not too back, would be much more difficult to mask up the arches/trim as they sit flush to the body.

Doof

Yea you gotta be careful taking the trim off. 90% of the clips and bolts will be knackered so it can get messy.

Sign in to follow this