• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

G/box Revs. @ 70 Mph

jonD6B

During a recent thread somone posted how to identify which gearbox is which by reading the amount of engine revs @ 70 mph. I don't know if I'm just being a sap but I can't find it again. Does anyone know what the revs. are for each box or could someone point me in the right direction of the topic? Cheers. :blink:

Anthony

At 80mph in 5th you'd be revving at roughly:

1.6 = 4200rpm

Mi16 = 4000rpm

1.9 = 3800rpm

jonD6B

Should have waited for your reply. Just been out and tested it at 70 (typical). Which box is it likely to be if I'm doing 3450 rpm @ 70 mph, do you think?

Banjo

Is there a box that has a really high 5th gear, like 2000rpm at 80?

Ben

Sandy
Should have waited for your reply. Just been out and tested it at 70 (typical). Which box is it likely to be if I'm doing 3450 rpm @ 70 mph, do you think?

If you have an accurate speedo and rev counter, that would be an Mi box on 195/50/15's, but slightly less revs would be 1.9.

C_W

Thats sounds just right for a 1.9 gearbox to me (20.9mph/1000rpm in 5th)

Edited by C_W

jonD6B

I'll test it at 80 mph to be sure I think. The speedo is bouncing all over the place at 70 so couldn't tell you for sure. It has only just started doing it though, any ideas?

madmat
Is there a box that has a really high 5th gear, like 2000rpm at 80?

Ben

Maybe the 1.9td box is highest,but nowhere near as low as 2000rpm at 80,matt

KRISKARRERA

Maybe I should reccomend that you break the law but do a higher speed and the difference shows up more. (I think). Stick it in 4th and do high revs, big difference between 1.9 and Mi in 4th.

The speedo bouncing all over the place? That's par for the course on our pugs! Dries out inside cable cover.

Edited by KRISKARRERA

TEKNOPUG

Bear in mind that the speedo and rev counter are not very accurate. However, the 1.9 box in 5th is 20mph/1k revs. So 80mph in 5th should be 80mph - which is great for acceleration but is really tiring for any sort of motor way journey, it also cains the fuel tank.

I run a hybrid box which runs 22mph @1k in 5th. So that's 88mph @4k and 143mph @6.5k in 5th - which is nice :huh:

Banjo

Have you just changed 5th or F/D aswell Teknopug?

Ben

pug_ham
I run a hybrid box which runs 22mph @1k in 5th. So that's 88mph @4k and 143mph @6.5k in 5th - which is nice :huh:
Sounds almost identical to the box I have fitted to mine from a 405 SRi, works well for motorway miles but dulls the fun on most roads (which is why I'm swapping).

Graham.

jonD6B
Maybe I should reccomend that you break the law but do a higher speed and the difference shows up more. (I think). Stick it in 4th and do high revs, big difference between 1.9 and Mi in 4th.

The speedo bouncing all over the place? That's par for the course on our pugs! Dries out inside cable cover.

Thanks for the advice so far. Can anyone give me a speed and rpm in a specific gear for a known original unmodififed box for a 1.9 which is definetly different to a 1.6 or MI box?

The reason I need to know accurately is that I want to have a hybrid box made from the 1.9 and an MI box so I need to make sure it is actually running a standard 1.9 box at the moment so I can use it's gearing with an MI final drive. Cheers <_<

Edited by jonD6B

pug_ham

For a specific rpm engine / road speed there is Zoldalma's gear calculator.

Transmission:

Five-speed, all indirect, with synchromesh.

upto 1990 BE1/5 Reverse next to 1st, 1990 on BE3/5 1990 onwards

1.6 Ratios (mph per 1000rpm): 1st 3.31 (4.9); 2nd 1.88 (8.6); 3rd 1.36 (11.9); 4th 1.07 (15.2); 5th 0.87 (18.7). Final-drive ratio 4:06:1

1.9 Ratios (mph per 1000rpm): 1st 2.92 (6.2); 2nd 1.85 (9.8); 3rd 1.36 (13.3); 4th 1.07 (16.9); 5th 0.86 (20.9). Final-drive ratio 3:69:1

Taken from www.205gtidrivers.com/info/techspecs.html.

Graham.

jonD6B

Cheers for that. It's a 1.9 box. Thanks all. :P:D

hodgy

lol mines 4500@70mph 6600@115mph thats why im gettin a new 5th put in my gear box to try save money on fuel but it is cool that it pulls in 5th at 20mph

Edited by hodgy

Sign in to follow this