• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Coco_Cup

Gti 'revival Check List

Guest Coco_Cup

Like many, a New Year means I'm determined to get my 205 GTi back up & running!

Currently she's awaiting a new engine, which fingers crossed I've sorted out, however the rest of it might be in a bit of a state having done nothing for absolutely ages including a chilly Winter.

So I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on things to look out for to determine if I should continue with the project ???

She's only intended to be used for dedicated track-work which means it doesn't need to pass an MOT & any surface rust can easily be patched up. All i'm really interested in are the mechanical concerns & in particular the costs involved to put right.

I keep hearing things about the rear-beam, is this something that can be checked out by eye? Is a replacement beam difficult to source?

I appreciate it's a strange question without seeing the car, but many thanks for any help & advice provided.

jonD6B

Firstly, although your car is for the track and doesn't need an MOT you still want it to stay together when you're going round the track, bits flying off it won't go down well. The rear beam is an essential part of preparing a car for the track and there are plenty of threads on here to lead you in the right direction. You can't tell for absolutely sure if the beam is going to need a full refurb until it's stripped really but as a quick idea, if you jack the back of the car into the air you need to make sure the wheels lower in the arches. If they don't the beam is probably seized and knackered. There are stacks of people on here that will tell you more in detail. Good luck. :(

Jonmurgie

What kind of track use are you going to be doing? Just a caution that if it's public trackdays then you 'may' be required to show your car is roadworthy with an MoT...

Without pics it's hard to say what needs doing to your car... but for peace of mind I'd want to ensure that all the running gear was in 100% tip top condition, by that I mean shocks, beam, wishbones, bearings, alignment etc. From a safty point of view I'd want to put cage/buckets/harnesses in...

Guest Coco_Cup

Thanks for the replies guys, cheers for the beam advice, I'll certainly look elsewhere on the forum for further details. Also, many thanks for the running-gear check list, exactly what I was after! <_<

She's already caged, seated & harness'd up & seen track action last year, it was only a recent decission where we SORN'd her off, mainly to save the expense & hastle of arranging insurance to be on the road. Basically MOT worthy but without the papers! :P

Again, cheers for the advice, hopefully she will be back up & running fairly soon.

Sign in to follow this