• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

Uprated Top Mount Rubbers.

jonD6B

Do the uprated top mount rubbers make enough of a difference to make them worth while? What are the best tools (specific) for removing the top mounts from the strut? Cheers.

pug_ham

They do sharpen the response slightly & lessen the give in 10-15 year old bushes. Only downside is they lift the car about 5mm from its previous height.

Removing the top mounts isn'thard, if you've got the strut off the car thats the hardest part done.

with oe struts you'll need;

• a 7mm allen key

• Ring spanner to fit top mount centre nut

• spring compressors

Loosen the top mount nut a couple of turns whilst they are still on the car to make it easier when they are removed.

With them off the car, fit the spring compressors tightening them until the top mount becomes slightly loose & then undo the centre nut completely, lifting the top mount off. Making note of how the parts fit together.

Best to drain the gearbox oil first time you do this as it's easy to dislodge the passenger side driveshaft & drain the gearbox oil accidentally.

Graham.

Post # 8000. :(

Edited by pugtorque

jonD6B

O.K. Do the rubbers lift the car intentionally through design or is it just that the harder rubber doesn't compress as much as the original ones? As for the tip on draining the gearbox first - Great idea! Unfortunately when I changed the complete struts over the other week.....( Well you can guess! ) LOL :(

Edited by jonD6B

pug_ham

Because the harder rubber doesn't compress. They are the same size as the original softer rubbers but just don't squash.

Graham.

Leon
Best to drain the gearbox oil first time you do this as it's easy to dislodge the passenger side driveshaft & drain the gearbox oil accidentally.

Graham.

Oh yes, done this plenty of times and it still catches me out every time.

adam_young

I fitted some baker bushes on Monday. They are much stiffer than standard. I'm not usually one for uprating every bush as mine is a road car, but seen as though I have a cheapo Spax kit on the car which is very harsh I thought what the hell! :P

I also fitted new bearings at the same time (one of the old ones turned out to be very notchy).

The car now feels a bit tighter and just a bit more together.

If you are planning on swapping your suspension then I'd say go for it, but I'm not so sure its worth messing about with just for the sake of it (if that makes sense?). I was trying to cure a knocking and general loose feeling in the car and that was just the next thing on my list.

Didn't realise it might up the ride height - thats a bonus as it was to low anyway! <_<

Sign in to follow this