• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Front Suspension / Drivetrain Overhaul

Doof

Ok, the front on of my 1.6 GTi is feeling rather tired so i've decided to give it a bit of a going over. I got a subframe from a 1.9 complete with wishbones and plan to put 1.9 hubs + brakes on while im at it.

So im trying to get a list of components together so i can order the lot and build up a fresh subframe off the car, then i can just pull the old one off and put my nice new one on all in one day.

So im going to be needing:

wishbone bushes

ARB droplinks

ARB bushes

Engine mounts

1.9 Hubs - Im thinking second hand hubs with new wheel bearings

1.9 driveshafts

Suspension top mount rubbers?

Think i've got some 1.9 brakes but i'd get new discs + pads

So, am i missing anything?

And also, where should I get the stuff from? dont want any crappy pattern stuff.

Cheers for any help,

Lewis

j_turnell

Best to get new wishbones tbh, also will give you the option of putting 309 stuff on if your replacing shafts and hubs etc, also fit new track rod ends, much easier to get the tracking done when finished :blink:.

Get new bearings with group n top mount rubbers as the standard ones are very soft. Also maybe new struts, bilstein oe ones will make the world of difference, but ultimately all depends on budget.

Edited by j_turnell

Doof

Erm if someone could kindly move this to brakes, suspension etc. Its not meant to be here clearly.

Thanks for the reply James, it does depend on my budget and im thinking i should just build this subframe up bit by bit with all the proper stuff, it'll make a world of difference. Might as well go the 309 route if im getting it all anyway.

To get the full 309 setup i need the driveshafts and wishbones right? not sure about hubs...

j_turnell

Yeh just the driveshafts and wishbones, obviously youll need the 1.9 hubs but youve got those, the tracking will need to be wound out around 10mm per side to get it to drive ok but will need setting up proper.

Doof

Ideas on best places to buy these things, i only know of ECP and autofive....its been that long since i've bought anything for a pug!

Doof

Bump....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where i should get this stuff? Do we have a list of links to websites selling pug stuff maybe?

taylorspug

Maybe try THIS place, usually sell genuine Pug bits aswell. The prices arent bad at all, but watch out for the postage costs. B)

DrSeuss

peugeotparts is another good place. Don't forget to get wishbone pinch bolts to stop the hubs ovalling.

Doof

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

pug_ham

You can get the mounts from Stew 205 at www.bakerBM.com & you get a discont as a forum member. Have a look in the group buys section for more details.

If postage costs are looking silly for those bits, it might be worth asking Peugeot for a price.

They could work out cheaper in the end. IIRC I got a wishbone bush from Peugeotparts & it was only a few £'s but I got it sent with some droplinks etc I won on ebay so the postage wasn't bad.

Graham.

Doof

Whats stuff like from euro car parts? it wont be OE peugeot parts but at least i can collect instead of having to get all this delivered...

pug_ham
Whats stuff like from euro car parts? it wont be OE peugeot parts but at least i can collect instead of having to get all this delivered...
For which bits??

You can get Ate Powerdiscs from ECP which are a good investment for not much more than standard discs.

Never bought anything from ECP apart from these & a GST Nuova clutch kit.

Price everything up with them & see what the total is. Peugeotparts sells droplinks on ebay & they usually go for about £30 a pair iirc & if you get them you can get some oe bushes from him at the same time.

Graham.

Doof

Ok prices im getting are:

EuroCarParts

wishbones 57

driveshafts 39

hubs 30

droplinks 20

top mounts 24

NEAT

wishbones 50

driveshafts 50

hubs dont do them

droplinks 23

top mounts dont do them

AUTOFIVE

wishbones na

driveshafts na

hubs 138 - something not right?

droplinks 30

top mounts 57

All plus VAT

Euro car parts is definitely the cheaper option as i can also pick everything up, im just not sure about the quality. Anyone else bought stuff other than ATE powerdiscs?

Worth getting new hubs or should i go for just new bearings and get some second hand hubs?

Its looking like 400-450 quid for the wishbones, driveshafts, hubs, droplinks and new top mounts....ouch.

vern

Just a silly obvious one. Dont forget to get the caliper mounting bolts off the 1.9 as they are different than 1.6 ones.

jackherer

second hand hubs and hub carriers with new bearings will be fine, but check the wheelbolt threads before you buy the hubs.

mi16nut

Lewis,

I prefer GSF to Eurocarparts these days. Certainly more knowledgeable staff. They're on Sneinton Road, near Green's windmill.

Go for GKN driveshafts rather than the cheaper versions if you can. You might have to pay a surcharge though as you can't exchange like for like; £25 extra from memory.

GSF do the top mount bearing on it's own, but it's listed for a Citroen Berlingo, not a 205; same thing & @ £6. This & the Group N top mounts (donut) will cost around the same & definitely better than the standard rubber.

Some pople have had trouble with Euro & GSF wihbone bushes, but luck of the drawer. You could then fit polyrace if you felt inclined.

£30 for a hub sounds pretty cheap. If that includes the wheel bearing, then I would be concerned about quality.

Mark.

Sign in to follow this