• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest naughtymutt

Smoke From Rocker Cover

Guest naughtymutt

I have smoke that appears to be coming from the Rocker Cover. I have checked the exhaust and it is not blowing so I am wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the problem? Blocked Breathers?

Also the car idles at 1500 and it was 2000 but I adjusted the idle screw on the TB and it droped. Again I havent a clue so if anyone could help that would be great.

Jonmurgie

It's probably the rocker cover gasket leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold...

jonD6B

What colour smoke is it and does it smell of oil? Have the revs increased to 2000 rpm since the time that the smoke has appeared?

Guest naughtymutt
What colour smoke is it and does it smell of oil? Have the revs increased to 2000 rpm since the time that the smoke has appeared?

Simply answer. I dont know, the engine came from a breakers and was just put in the car.

The only time I have seen something similar was on a 309gti that I used to own and a garage said it was the AFM dying, so perhaps I will have a look at that.

The smoke starts when the engine has been running for a few minutes, it smells of oil, so I will have a look at the rocker gasket tomorrow.

Simmy
The only time I have seen something similar was on a 309gti that I used to own and a garage said it was the AFM dying, so perhaps I will have a look at that.

A dying AFM would'nt cause smoke from the rocker cover!! would just cause poor running and possibly smoke from the exhuast! (unless of course you have a gaping hole in the exhaust manifold! lol)

Is the the smoke actually coming from the rocker cover or is it coming from a general area around there? Would usually say smoke from the engine = burning oil, as jonmurige said could be a leaking rocker gasket, if so then easily fixed, just have a general look around for oil leeks.

Just re-read what i've written and noticed you meant the dying AFM referring to the poor idling :( ignore my comment about that. maybe adjust the AFM idle screw more? unless of course it then struggles to idle! Also make sure when the accelerator is released the throttle cable returns to its proper position and is not tensioned n holding the throttle open slightly.

Edited by Simmy

jonD6B

If the engine has literally just been put in the car it could just be oil and grease burning itself off from spillages and dirty hands etc.

jshep205gti
If the engine has literally just been put in the car it could just be oil and grease burning itself off from spillages and dirty hands etc.

Couldn't agree more. After I put my engine in it smelt very bad til all the oil had burned off everywhere. Make sure the rocker gasket is ok, my "brand new" one had a crack in it!!

Simmy

good point!!! this would usually clear after not too long...

was bloomin terrifying the first time I swapped and engine, in my case though i slipped when filling with oil and the exhaust manifold got coated... cloads of smoke for a few mins :(

cybernck

btw, believe it or not, mi16 rocker cover can get porous!

Sign in to follow this