• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Eryl1.9Gti

Steering Rack Bushes. Please Help.

Eryl1.9Gti

Been told that my mk2 golf destroyer (1.9 Gti) needs a new steering rack becuse the bush on the pass side is worn and they cant get hold of new ones.

Does anyone know where i can get bushes from, and cost?

Its a 1989 Black 205 1.9 gti with no pas.

pug_ham

A fully recondition rack is only £40 & takes about two hours maximum to fit.

Not worth the hassle of replacing just the bushes imo.

Graham.

Eryl1.9Gti

Thanks for teh info, any idea where i can get a hold of one?

pug_ham

Any local motor factors should be able to get you one if not GSF or ECP.

Graham.

Eryl1.9Gti

Thanks for the help, will look up 2morra.

Glad to see im not the only person up at this time.

Eryl.

jackherer

do reconditioned racks come with or without trackrods? I've got several racks with one loose trackrod balljoint and I got some of the locking washers to reattach them from peugeot so I could make one or two good racks out of them but TBH I didnt realise there were any bushes in the racks so reconned ones might be a better idea.

pug_ham
do reconditioned racks come with or without trackrods?
Not that I remember, last reconditioned rack I fitted I had to swap the trackrod ends over as well. It'd be nice if they did come with them fitted & the rack pre-tracked if that was possible.

Graham.

jonah

Got one from ECP a few years ago, it did come with track rods but not track rod ends.

No chance of them coming "pre-tracked" since the tracking adjustment is unique to every car!

Rippthrough
Got one from ECP a few years ago, it did come with track rods but not track rod ends.

No chance of them coming "pre-tracked" since the tracking adjustment is unique to every car!

Yep, otherwise what would be the point in having adjustment to start with! :angry:

pug_ham
I know that but at least with a standard setting you could drive to get the tracking done without having squealing tyres in a straight line because they are so far out. (I've had this once & that was after measuring / counting the turns on the track rod ends from the track rods).

Graham.

Eryl1.9Gti

Ok so there are 2 kinds of Racks, round and square i think.

Whats the difference appart from a £5 in price????

cybernck

you need to get the one that matches your lower steering column obviously.

older cars have square one and newer round splined one.

iety2004

This is a job i need to do today.

The car failed its mot , because the tester said the ball joint on the inner track rod was badle worn, took it off and there feck all wrong with it, it like u said, the bush inside the rack, poo!

Does anybody know if ECP deliver to ur house, cos my car is up on stands in the garage.

elrikos

yes they do.

go to google and type eurocarparts. you'll get the website complete with online shopping and delivery.

Edited by elrikos

Sign in to follow this