• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Shaking Steering

DaveK

First of all i thought i would try asking u guys instead of takin to a garage....ive decided most mechanics will say anything to make money

Recently ive been having the occasional problem of the steering all of a sudden vibrating extremely( the kind of thing u get when the balancing is off)

It shakes to such an extrent i struggle to keep ahold of the wheel! however it only happens while im accelerating. I was driving upto edin just now and decided to giv the engine a "good run" upto 90. When i slowed back down to 60 it was fine but once i started accellerating again it was shaking badly.

this only seems to happen every now and again, like evey 200-300 miles

i stopped the car and when i pulled away it was fine :S

is this maybe the drive shafts or something? its got me stumped

thanks folks!

j_turnell

Is there any knocking nosies along with that or just purely the shaking? Have you tried getting your wheels re-balanced?

DaveK

yea there was some knocking, i dont think that its the balancing, the shakin was far too aggressive for that

Anthony

Shaking under acceration I'd usually say was driveshafts, but no sure why it only does it occasionally? The shaking you get from a failed CV joint is very severe and will cause the whole car to shake, much more so than an out of balance wheel.

Probably the best thing is to jack the car up and have a poke around and see what you can find. Check for play in the CV joints, check for play in the wheel bearings, and check for play in the suspension joints.

DaveK

cheers for teh help dude, al do that at the weekend when i get time! if im still stuck ill know where to come :(

Sign in to follow this