• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonD6B

Fan Over-ride Switch Querie.

jonD6B

I am trying to wire in a fan over ride switch. It is a kit comprising of a 3 pin rocker switch, a red and a green wire and a handful of spade connectors. The earth pin is self explanitory as is the switch live but the middle pins destination is stumping me.

I quote: "Middle terminal-Terminal NO of Automatic thermal control (use piggy-back connector)".

WTF???

Anyone have a clue what this refers to? :)

Pugnut

Earth ?? is there a lamp on the switch?

switch live ? is this a +12v feed to the switch?

NO = Normally open . so when you operate the switch these contacts are made with the C (common terminal) this should be 'piggybacked' as mentioned onto the +12v for the fan

personally i would use a switch to operate a relay thats fed and fuses accordingly direct from the battery .

where are you getting the feed from the switch, because if you're not using a relay then it needs to be able to handle the full fan current?

jonD6B

I think the switch is lit. The positive feed is "fused,ignition controlled supply". I was going to take the feed from the ignition push start.

A note at the bottom of the instruction page says " If you do not have an Automatic thermal control, connect middle terminal either to relay pin 85 or direct to fan if it does not have a relay".

Knowing absolutely nothing about electrics, I don't have a clue what this means or whether I even have an A.T.C. or a relay for the fan. Cheers. :P

jonah

I guess that "automatic thermal control" means the fan thermoswitch (the thing screwed into the n/s end of the radiator). There is no relay in the circuit as standard in the 205.

TBH this switch kit sounds a bit suspect, and it's not ideally suited to the 205 anyway. The GTI has a two-speed fan system which this kit won't be able to use (you can use it for overriding at only one speed). Also I would definitely not run the fan from an ignition-switched supply, because the current drawn by the fan can be very large and could overheat wiring or the contacts in the ignition barrel.

I posted a step-by-step guide to wiring in a 2-speed override switch in this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=43098

You could add a warning light to this setup (to show when the fan is running) by connecting it between the centre switch terminal and earth.

Good luck... :angry:

jonD6B

Perfect! Thanks. Don't know much about switch ampages but the kit is from Demon Tweeks so would have thought it would be o.k. I'll have a bash at it and see how I get on.

Edited by jonD6B

Sign in to follow this