• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iety2004

Think I Got A Leak, Inside The Car

iety2004

Just been using my newly aquired GTI for driver back and forth to work, the only problem is that when i finished using it, there is warm water in my footwell, not much but enough.

The only thing i can think of is that the heater system is leaking, but with out looking at it, what the most proberble thing that could cause this?

Is it most likly to be a pipe split or the materix itself?

cheers

gareth

gti-hysteria

proberly the matrix as they are fairly common sort it quick as my underlay stuff under the carpet got absolutly ruined.

iety2004

OK i'll do it tomorrow, a new matrix it is then,

how messy to change will it be?

i can imagine lots of coolant inside the car, and like you said ruin the underlay.

cheers

gareth

pug_ham

Try doing a search for heater matrix,there have been a few topics about these recently.

Graham.

sonofsam

My car is standing on the drive at the moment with no coolant in it at all...and i have still have a puddle in my footwell(warm water too)..must be rain water leaking through bulkhead or scuttle panel or something..damn strange and annoying

allanallen

i find the aerial is a prime place for leaks if they aint sealed on very well

if you take out the matrix it will probly have some dirty brown water in it so try not to spill it as it will be very sticky on your carpet

Foltan

Gareth, thatll almost certainly be the matrix, if you do a search theres a couple of really good posts with guides to changing them

GLPoomobile

Hi

Do a search under my posts as I had a leaking matrix. If it's warm water I can't see that it can be an external leak, must be coolant (easy way to check, soak it up with kitchen towel and see if it is coloured, sticky, or smells).

Some coolant remains in the matrix and supply pipes after you have drained the radiator and engine, so it could still be leaking after you have done this.

It just so happens that the 1.9 that I put my new matrix in a couple of months ago is now being stripped, so if you want a replacement drop me a line and I'll sort you out.

ashlee205gti

Give it a taste, coolant tastes sweet. Dont worry im not in the habit of licking carpets all the time.

tashanoodles

This may be a blonde question, and if so, i apologise in advance, but if the heater matrix is leaking, would you automatically lose water from the coolant system?

Its just my passenger footwell carpet is damp, not puddles of water, but enough for me to notice a smell and go investigate, but I checked my water level yesterday and it was fine, is there any way of finding out if its def. the heater matrix?!

jonD6B
Give it a taste, coolant tastes sweet. Dont worry im not in the habit of licking carpets all the time.

Isn't that stuff a little poisonous to be tasting? :angry:

sonofsam
Hi

Do a search under my posts as I had a leaking matrix. If it's warm water I can't see that it can be an external leak,

Some coolant remains in the matrix and supply pipes after you have drained the radiator and engine, so it could still be leaking after you have done this.

My car has been stood outside empty for a year now.and every time it rains..hey presto,water in the well,get's warm from the sun maybe/heat rising from the ground??

going to sort it when i take the dash out,must come from somewhere,cant see the matrix/pipes holding that

much surely :blink:

iety2004

Well i was loosing coolant, but i presummed, head gasket rather than heating.

I bought a new materix 2 day from Euro Car Parts in Cardiff, cos i think they were cheaper than GSF.

And what a T*%T they are to change!

I mean if i coul do another one, i would be alright because i done one, but the haynes manual must of been written by stevie wonder or sumin, all the pictures of how to remove, was with the whole heater system on they floor! their not stupid!

Where the end of the materix meets the body was where mine was leaking, only small but suffienct enough.

Infact i havent finished it yet, my batteries in my head tourch ran out! Poo!

Plus im having fitment diffculties now due to the cheap plastic peugeot used, but eveybody know thats was gonna happen, i did. LOL

cheers

Gareth

pug_ham
This may be a blonde question, and if so, i apologise in advance, but if the heater matrix is leaking, would you automatically lose water from the coolant system?
Yes, its part of the cooling system so the fluid level would drop.
Its just my passenger footwell carpet is damp, not puddles of water, but enough for me to notice a smell and go investigate, but I checked my water level yesterday and it was fine, is there any way of finding out if its def. the heater matrix?!

:( litmus paper if you have or can get some, I'm sure coolant would show as a weak acid.

Isn't that stuff a little poisonous to be tasting? :)
Tasting not drinking. a wet finger tip on the tongue is enough to tell then drink & rinse your mouth with water.

Graham.

jackherer
Tasting not drinking. a wet finger tip on the tongue is enough to tell then drink & rinse your mouth with water.

Graham.

or down a shot of alcohol immediately afterwards, ethanol is an effective antidote to antifreeze poisoning :(

GLPoomobile
Well i was loosing coolant, but i presummed, head gasket rather than heating.

I bought a new materix 2 day from Euro Car Parts in Cardiff, cos i think they were cheaper than GSF.

And what a T*%T they are to change!

I mean if i coul do another one, i would be alright because i done one, but the haynes manual must of been written by stevie wonder or sumin, all the pictures of how to remove, was with the whole heater system on they floor! their not stupid!

Where the end of the materix meets the body was where mine was leaking, only small but suffienct enough.

Infact i havent finished it yet, my batteries in my head tourch ran out! Poo!

Plus im having fitment diffculties now due to the cheap plastic peugeot used, but eveybody know thats was gonna happen, i did. LOL

cheers

Gareth

If it was leaking where it meets the body, I would presume you are reffering to the metal pipes where they go through the bulk head, in which case you wouldn't have needed to replace the whole matrix.

Have fun getting the pipes to seal back in the matrix! Those robber O rings are crap. I used a tonne of instant gasket on them.

iety2004

sorry, i meant the materix body, the end of the materix where it meets the materix body.

The seals were ok when i put them in, and it hasn't leak yet, so i must of done something right.

Guest smokinslim

It's a problem worth getting sorted quickly - My Alpine cd player was taken ill recently due to leak of this sort still to be resolved :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile

Considering that when my Matrix went, it was pretty muc pissing coolant out, I was very lucky that it happened when I had no CD player fitted. I had delayed installing my brand new head unit. If I had fitted it I reckon it would have been ruined.

Great piece of design you French pillocks!

Sign in to follow this