• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveW

Cam Belt Change

DaveW

I want to change the cam belt on my GR but im bit unsure of how to go about it..

Anyone got any tips or a small guide to help me please :)

Alastairh

Easy mate.

Done mine on the 106 a while back.

Look in the haynes, its reasonably good guide in there.

If your coming down to kibworth some time i can give you a hand.

Alastair

Sandy

Haynes guide is good enugh to get you through and saves me explaining in detail!

But roughly:

Slacken alternator bolts and remove alternator belt

Remove upper middle and lower cambelt covers

Turn engine over by hand until you can locate a 10mm diameter bolt in the timing hole on the cam pulley and head drilling (about 2 o'clock position) and a 6mm diameter rod into the flywheel end of the block beside the TDC sensor, check it locates and locks the flywheel.

Loosen the cambelt tensioner bolt and remove the cambelt.

Compare the old and new belts to ensure you have the correct one (there are several sizes available).

Fit the new belt without kinking it and ensuring the front run from cam to crank is not loose before feeding it over the water pump drive and tensioner.

Tension the belt by turning the tensioner anti clockwise (8mm square key) until the front run (cam to crank) can only be twisted about 45 degrees between thumb and fore finger only.

Lock the tensioner nut and remove the locking 10mm and 6mm rods/bolts

and turn the the crank by hand twice. recheck the timing rods/bolts and tension.

Refit the covers/alternator belt and tension alternator belt.

If you're unsure of the correct tension, get it checked by someone more experienced, i can't be blamed if you get it wrong!

DaveW

cheers sandy, nah if it goes wrong its my fault after all :) yeah i might be up there next week Ali.

Sign in to follow this