• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309PUG

Lambda

309PUG

I have an XU 8v and a Longman 4-2-1 manifold / system, where is the best position to weld in a Lambda boss to take the Lambda sensor.

Chris

DrSeuss

Why do you want one? Really it should be fairly close to the head where all the streams of exhaust gas join together. It will be detrimental to the speed of response if its too far away, it will burn out if too close.

jayblack-gti

if you place the original downpipe next to the longmans manifold downpipe, weld the boss in a similar location to the standard position, thats what i done with my mongoose system, dont worry about gas flow because it shouldnt change the lambda readings

jay

M3Evo

Mmm, wish I'd seen this topic sooner as I've just fitted a lambda boss to one of my down pipes.

It's about 2" away from a turbo outlet, hope it's not too close!

309PUG

Thing is that my car did not have a Lambda fitted in the first place, I'm fitting one to make life easier to map the engine with my DTA.

So roughly how far from the exhaust holes ?

Chris

Edited by 309PUG

petert

The hole on cat. equipped models is 210mm (just measured one) from the start of the down pipe. It needs to be accessible from underneath. You don't have to be exact with the measurement, but it will give you an idea of where to put it.

ablister

just hada quick read of one of my books and it pretty much says what DrSeuss just said: if it's too close to the manifold, it'll lead to overheating and cause damage to the sensor. Too far away from the maifold and the sensor may not reach it's correct operating temperature (approx 600 degrees c)

Edited by ablister

DrSeuss

Being a heated sensor this should be less of a problem. With wb sensors they're very sensitive to exhaust gas temperature but have heating elements built in to reach a constant temperature. They're also sensitive to pulsing of exhaust gas due to the lack of constant temperature.

for those who wish to read further about how WB oxygen sensors work

http://www.megasquirt.info/PWC/

however it is EXTREMELY in depth at certain points.

Edited by DrSeuss

Dream Weaver

I'm considering this at the moment, will it make mapping much easier as i'm even struggling to get the fuelling right on the base Emerald map :angry:

Can a Lambda boss be fitted with the manifold in situ?

petert
Can a Lambda boss be fitted with the manifold in situ?

Yes. Any decent exhaust place should be able to do it.

Super Josh

I'm assuming here that the Lambda sensor needs to be in the exhaust flow after all of the pipes come together? I bought mine off Ebay if anyone is having trouble sourcing one. Was about 8 quid and thay are available in both mild and stainless steel, depending on what kind of system you are fitting it in, and it comes with a plug too.

Josh

M3Evo

Any idea where to buy the electrical plug from?

I've got the sensor, but no way of connecting it to the loom :angry:

Super Josh

Just re read my reply and i'm refering to a LAmbda Boss, NOT sensor, DOH

Josh

Sign in to follow this