• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest gazzarose

Best 165/70 Tyres Available

Guest gazzarose

Hi guys, I was supposed to be getting new 15s with 195s but now ive found out that I cant modify my car at all because other direct lines policy on under 25s (Read My Other Thread). At the moment my car (Base Model Inca Diesel) has got 155/70 r13s on it, but ive found out that it should have 165/70 r13s on it, so obviously at some point someone has changed the size because 155s are cheaper. So im gonna change them back when my current set wear out. Is there such thing as a good 165/70 tyre? One that will let me make the most of the cars stanard state if you know what I mean, because at the moment my tyres are resonably good in the dry, but show them any water and you might as well be on ice. So are there any 165s that arrnt hugely expensive that have got a good tread pattern and that works?

I dare say noone has ever tried so have any of you got any recomendation for 175s, you never know there might be a 165 version.

cheers Guys

Gaz

Jer309GTi

You could maybe find some 14" steels from a 405, 306, 206 etc and put on 185/60-14s? Don't know if your insurance would class that as a modification because its not alloys?

Ive never had them in 165s, but Goodyear F1s are damn good.

I should have thought if you do a search on tyres then what people have said about 195 width tyres should apply to the 165 width too, as they are the same tread pattern/compound etc

Guest maynard

hi,

not only are you current tyres the wrong width, but the wrong profile too, as '70' means 70% of the width, not 70mm :)

Anyway, you may find it hard to get the popular tyres in that size.

Insurance company will not notice if you change to 14" steelies, and that will enable you to get better tyres! :D

Richie-Van-GTi

My first clio was insured through direct line and had same clause. I put 15 inch steels on af a scenic or something like that. Insurance where fine as its still a standard manufacturers rim :)

Beastie

The Inca is a pre-facelift, 1996 or earlier model isn't it? If so then the 155 70 13 is the correct tyre. If you put 165s on pre facelift diesels then all that happens is they use more fuel, accelerate slower and handle worse. My 1996 Aztec had 165s on it when I bought it and (averaging it out over the last 3000 miles) it is now doing 4mpg better on the correct 155s and the handling is fun again. Also the 165s used to catch and rub around corners.

Guest gazzarose

I emailed my local Pugeout to ask them , and they said that they should be 165. But to be honest I dont think Il get rounf to ever changhing them again, I may buy a 306 at the end of the summer, il have 3 yrs Named driver NCB and 1 yrs normal NCB, and when I done a quote on the website where I pretended I was a random name and that I was 21 with 1 yrs ncb, it came up 650 quid, for a Gti-6. Ive started saving for it already, theres loads of good examples going for around the 3 grand mark, Ive got 1600 quid already (granted 1100 was from a building society account my mum started wen I was born,lol, and Ive added 500 quid from my student loan). So I cant wait.

Gaz

DaveW

it should have 165's

allanallen

keep the tyres change insurer that truely is perverted

Sign in to follow this