• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ben81

Head Gasket

Guest Ben81

hello,

i have just had a new head gasket and i was wondering if i should be taking it easy for a few miles.any advice would be great,the car is 205 1.9.

iety2004

are supose to change the head bolts on these engines due to them being all aluminium?

or am i miss taken?

cheers

gareth

hengti

Head bolts should always be changed and come in the gasket kit

Don't need to run in, as you've not renewed any reciprocating parts (ie. there is no new metal on metal contact, unlike with a bearing/cam etc)

After having my mine done (with head skim), I found that the fuelling wasn't as before though - so might be worth keeping an eye on plug colour for a little while. Otherwise it's business as usual!

Anthony
Head bolts should always be changed and come in the gasket kit

Head bolts don't usually come in most head gasket sets, and for that matter, neither often do headgaskets themselves :P

You're right though - headbolts should *always* be renewed as they're a stretch-once design. Believe me, the hassle involved with a snapped headbolt and the low cost of new ones (less than £15) means that it's not even worth considering reusing them.

JayCC

I snapped a head bolt in my head once. I then proceeded to snap 6 drill bits and an eazy out in the snapped bolt. I had to take it to a machine shop to have it pro drilled out. took them day or so to do because of the snapped bits in there! I would always use new head bolts as anthony says

jonD6B

If hexagonal head bolts are used the engine should be run to temperature then left to cool and have the head bolts retensioned. If you use Torx bolts this isn't necessary.

ashlee205gti

They only sell the Torx bolts anyway, dont they?

jshep205gti
They only sell the Torx bolts anyway, dont they?

No, I managed to get a set or 'normal' headed bolts the toher week.

Rob_the_Sparky
If hexagonal head bolts are used the engine should be run to temperature then left to cool and have the head bolts retensioned. If you use Torx bolts this isn't necessary.

Has nothing to do with the head type, it has to do with whether you are using stretch bolts or not. Standard bolts are a stretch design and use a Torx bit. I presume you can get aftermarket bolts that are re-usable as they are not stretch type bolts (ARP?) so will need re-tensioning (just like in the good old days!).

Be careful with Torx versus hex head generalisations as it may not always be true!

Rob

pug205rally
No, I managed to get a set or 'normal' headed bolts the toher week.

Sorry to hijack thread but where did you get the bolts from

Cheers

Simon

Sign in to follow this