• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trevor_stiles

Wheel Refurbishment Question

trevor_stiles

Hi, i recently tried to refurb a set of my alloys, sanded them smooth with 400 wet and dry. i then cleaned them up and pmered with 3 coats, about 10 minutes between coats,sanded them down with 1000 wet and dry, i then painted them with some silver wheel paint.

My problem is when i lacquered them the finish doesnt come up shiny. it comes up partially shiny and in places it looks like the metallic silver paint has kinda grouped together.

Any ideas on why it doesnt lacquer properly. Ive tried it a few times with differnt lacquers and different paints but the same happens. Is it because i dont use a heated area when lacquering???

j_turnell

Sounds like its reacted, need to make sure where you spray is nice and dry and warm, youll need to flat it back again, i also found it better to spray the laquer a minute or so after the last coat of silver, warm the can up a bit aswell with a heat gun or a like, you need to get fairly close i found with the laquer but just far enough away to avoid runs.

Heres how mine turned out.

rear_shot.sized.jpg

trevor_stiles

Those wheels look nice.i have tried a today with heat and lacquering a minute or so after painting.

It looks like its reatted again but not as much and the lacquer isnt smooth. Do i need to use a finer spray as the one im using isnt the best and more heat???

C_W

What sounds like is happening is that the laquer is actually unsetting the paint thats why the metallic flakes are moving about as the paint you spray on has a thinner in it.

You need to make sure the base colour coat is properly dry before applying the laquer. And try to use a heater to set the laquer quickly. Heating the wheels up can help if you have a fan heater on them for a while before painting.

The final finish depends on how well its painted; I try to get as much laquer on as I dare without it running. It always looks great when its just been painted but dulls a bit as it dries out properly. Once its hardened I use a T-Cut or G3 to smooth the laquer and then polish/wax.

richsmells

I was worried about this happening when I did mine. I left the wheels in the garden shed on a hot day. I sprayed them in the shade but they were quite warm. This allows all the solvent evaporate easily and prevent reaction. Then I "baked" them in the shed again. Budget booth :)

IMG_3387.sized.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

Edited by richsmells

Paintguy
What sounds like is happening is that the laquer is actually unsetting the paint thats why the metallic flakes are moving about as the paint you spray on has a thinner in it.

Sounds that way to me too.

I'd give yourself a minimum of 15 minutes between coats of silver, half an hour would be better, and then at least an hour before putting on the lacquer (depending on conditions).

As said, some heat and/or air movement will help, but don't apply too much heat, as the paint can skin over, with the surface drying out and trapping solvents (thinners) beneath it. They should work their way out eventually (anything up to 3 months in the case of 2 pack) but when they do, they might take all the shine with them, as the paint will sink. :D

Painting is not something that should be rushed, and your patience will pay off in a great (and more importantly, lasting) finish :D

Richie-Van-GTi

what silver are you using? if your buying 'wheel silver' you cant laquer it normally. Your best is to buy proper silver spray for a silver car.

j_turnell

Mine are dont in 5 wheel silver and you can laquer them just fine as i have done.

Sign in to follow this