• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iety2004

Unable To Open Passenger Door

iety2004

Hi, bought my first GTI last night, only down side is that when u activate the central locking the passenger door doesn't open, even when u try pulling the button open, nothing happens. And the key to that and the boot is different. so i can't even use the keys

so i was wondering what could this be, cos i know th car won't pass the mot if the door won't open.

could it just be the mechanism or sumin?

cheers

gareth

Edited by iety2004

mak

Take the door card of and you'll be able to see the central locking mechanism mounted to the bottom of the door. This will let you get a better idea of whats going on.

When you say nothing happens when you try pulling the button open, do you mean the door lock wont even move, or the door still wont open?

If the doors unlocked and it wont open best bet is to take the handle of. They work on a spring mechanism which drys out and gets sticky with age, sometimes resulting in the handle staying stuck in the 'pull position', meaning it wont work. Taking it of will let you get the door open and oil the spring for many miles more of happy motoring.

Edited by mak

pug_ham
If the doors unlocked and it wont open best bet is to take the handle of. They work on a spring mechanism which drys out and gets sticky with age, sometimes resulting in the handle staying stuck in the 'pull position', meaning it wont work. Taking it of will let you get the door open and oil the spring for many miles more of happy motoring.
This is what had happened on my ex's car, the passenger door handle had become stiff & wasn't releasing properly to allow the door to be opened.

A pain to get access to but I removed the whole door lock & handle, greased / oiled it up, now it works pefectly.

Graham.

iety2004

Yeah u were right pugtorque, the mechanism had just seized up. so sorted.

Now i realise why there was no coolant in it when i bought it, i think the heater matrix is leaking because there is warm coolant by the driver footwell.

How hard are these to do? does it have to be a new one or will a second hand one do the job?

cheers

gareth

pug_ham
Now i realise why there was no coolant in it when i bought it, i think the heater matrix is leaking because there is warm coolant by the driver footwell.

How hard are these to do? does it have to be a new one or will a second hand one do the job?

New one, fitting a second hand one is false economy imo.

Not a hard job to do though. have a search as they have been discussed several times recently.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this