• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rich_w

Driveshaft Problem?

rich_w

Hi,

I'm getting a shaking and wobbling from the gearstick. Things i've noticed about this:

- it wont do it when the car is stood still

- fine straight from cold (sometimes when i'm a mile up the road it happens)

- i can feel it starting at 2k ish

- it doesnt always do it, but most of the time it will happen.

- if i'm coasting or engine breaking its fine.

Recent replacements/mod's on my 309:

Quaife, mi16 flywheel and clutch, along with a new release bearing. Front struts replaced as well.

Wishbones got done shortly before xmas, but the tracking was well out and i wasnt driving it fast so i dont think i would of noticed this problem before.

When replacing the drivers side driveshaft, my mate noted how the bearing that "lock's" into the casting on the back of the block had some play, but nothing major, but would need replacing soon.

I've done a search on the word driveshaft and that looks what my problem is, but could i be reading into this too far? Someone has suggested the quiafe isn't correctly fitted/out of alignment. The large plastic gear got slightly crushed, a stanley knife did fix the problem and it will be replaced, but I wouldnt of thought a lump of plastic would cause my problems.

I'm changing the rear struts tomorrow, so will check the front out but I dont like it (i've replaced nearly everything at the front expect the driveshafts).

Replacements - GKN don't seem too great (or have they improved?) and pug items are stupid in cost (unless I get them on exchange...). Do I have any other options for my 309 gti? I might just try the local motorfactors unless someone can suggest something...

Its late and i'm tried so i hope this makes more sense than usaual.

thanks, Rich.

jackherer

its due to worn engine mounts probably (the lower one particularly).

rich_w

I replaced the engine mounts with grp n jobbies around 7 months ago....I hope they haven't worn out :)

edit: I will check the lower one out tomorrow and make sure the bolts are tight -_-

Edited by rich_w

jackherer

ok, something else to check is that the gearbox is tightly bolted to the engine, its not unheard of for them to come loose and that can make the gearstick wobble.

rich_w

For the sake of anyone searching, I have changed the driveshaft on the drivers side and everything is fine, the wobble has gone :huh:

Simes

Like in the last thread about this; I had the same gearstick moving left and right erratically for a few miles. That then chilled out and we covered the next 600 miles with a horrific vibration.

Changed the shaft once back in the UK problem gone.

rich_w

When I was getting my driveshaft from GSF (yes a did get a G*N one!) the chap behind the desk said they sell loads of driveshafts for peugeots :huh:

kyepan
I'm getting a shaking and wobbling from the gearstick. Things i've noticed about this:

- it wont do it when the car is stood still

- fine straight from cold (sometimes when i'm a mile up the road it happens)

- i can feel it starting at 2k ish

- it doesnt always do it, but most of the time it will happen.

- if i'm coasting or engine breaking its fine.

Recent replacements/mod's on my 309:

Quaife, mi16 flywheel and clutch, along with a new release bearing. Front struts replaced as well.

Wishbones got done shortly before xmas, but the tracking was well out and i wasnt driving it fast so i dont think i would of noticed this problem before.

When replacing the drivers side driveshaft, my mate noted how the bearing that "lock's" into the casting on the back of the block had some play, but nothing major, but would need replacing soon.

I've done a search on the word driveshaft and that looks what my problem is, but could i be reading into this too far? Someone has suggested the quiafe isn't correctly fitted/out of alignment. The large plastic gear got slightly crushed, a stanley knife did fix the problem and it will be replaced, but I wouldnt of thought a lump of plastic would cause my problems.

I'm changing the rear struts tomorrow, so will check the front out but I dont like it (i've replaced nearly everything at the front expect the driveshafts).

Replacements - GKN don't seem too great (or have they improved?) and pug items are stupid in cost (unless I get them on exchange...). Do I have any other options for my 309 gti? I might just try the local motorfactors unless someone can suggest something...

Its late and i'm tried so i hope this makes more sense than usaual.

thanks, Rich.

how freaky.. i've just fitted a quaife and 2x new 309 driveshafts / 309 wishbones & miles's new rose jointed gear linkage.. new hubs, wheel bearings, and the 307 kit, have also had the wheels balanced.

The passenger side drive shaft tripo joint on the new shaft was not moving freely in all planes, it would either move up or down, left or right, but not round. Very "dodgy", but i put it on anyway because Pa told me to.

Now lo and behold, enormous ammounts of gear stick wiggle just like mentioned above.

I'm 99% sure the new Euro car parts shaft is to blame, despite the ammount of tinkering i've done on the car sine it came off the road two weeks ago. I've double checked gearbox bolts, engine mounts, and i'm pretty anal about torquing up the suspension when it goes back together..

will let you all know the results at the weekend when i swap driveshafts.

J

kyepan

ECP have agreed to the swap

kyepan

happy to say, despite ECP not ordering in the driveshaft they said they would... so me turning up in slough to pick it up was quite a surprise..

refund.. called gsf got a gkn one on order.

A very kind forum member lent me a 1.9 shaft for the interim, and that solved all the issues.

Sign in to follow this