• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jr4070

Fluctuating Speedo Reading

jr4070

I'm running a 1.6 on a standard gearbox and 1.9 wheels. These wheels have 195/50/15s on which I think Is causing the problem. Anybody else have a fluctuating speedo reading which gets more stable the faster you go..?

j_turnell

I take it you mean the speedo wobbles? If so then you need a new cable, i'd advise a pug one, they are only around £20 :P

Jonmurgie

Yeah, this is a very very common issue on the 205 in the UK... with RHD cars the speedo cable runs across the back of the engine bay and above the exhaust manifold... this causes the cable to dry out and jerk...

A new cable is a semi-long term fix....

jr4070
Yeah, this is a very very common issue on the 205 in the UK... with RHD cars the speedo cable runs across the back of the engine bay and above the exhaust manifold... this causes the cable to dry out and jerk...

A new cable is a semi-long term fix....

I bought the car in Sept and was told that it had had a new cable..Typical...

j_turnell

As i say the pug ones last longer the outer shielding is stronger, go to pug, they give a couple of different lengths, i got the longest one.

It also could be the drive in the gearbox, or the cable not quite in far enough if it has recently been replaced.

hengti

The guy I bought mine off test drove 13 cars before he bought his - and said they all did it

It's never particularly bothered me for the 6y I've run it - just one of those quirks of character I guess

That said, things do seem to improve if you tinker with it - I took my dash out recently and accidentally pulled the ferule off the end of the cable. After getting it back on, the speedo needle seems a little steadier

ashley peddle

if you have time to look at your speedo your not going fast enough :) :)

mine is doing it too - a right bugger when im going through speed cameras -_-

jr4070
if you have time to look at your speedo your not going fast enough :) :)

mine is doing it too - a right bugger when im going through speed cameras -_-

I think that it is the chang of gearing with the 1.9 wheels.. I will let you know as i've got two 1.6 one which I will put on and try..

Edited by pugtorque

pug_ham
I think that it is the chang of gearing with the 1.9 wheels.. I will let you know as i've got two 1.6 one which I will put on and try..
1.9 Gti alloys on 195/50-15 doesn't change the speedo reading enough for it to be the cause;

Tyre Specs| Size (Inch)| Tyre width (mm)| profile (%)| Diameter (mm)| Factor
  • Original | 14 | 185 | 60 | 57.8 | 0.108875035

• New| 15 | 195 | 50 | 57.6 | 0.108573442

0.2mm difference in diametre isn't anywhere near enough to make a noticable difference.

Mine also do it but stabilise once you get to 45mph & is fine from there up.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this