• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BIG_HENDO

Mi16 Help

BIG_HENDO

hi guys just did a search on changing the alternator in my 205 mi16. came up with a few suggestions but kind of need a dummies guide as im a dummy :) realise it may be a big job but im willing to give it a crack. thanks

Jonmurgie

If I were doing one I'd remove the inlet manifold as that wil give you easy and direct access to the starter... that will require a new inlet manifold gasket but should take no more than half hour to remove... then it's just 3 bolts to remove the starter...

Do you have a Haynes manual as that will cover it... um, you'd need the 405 manual to cover the Mi engine though :rolleyes:

Martin@PRD

alternator ??????

Jonmurgie

Feck it... I thought he was on about Starter... biggest DOH of the year for me so far!!

Alternater is easy, just undo everything you see connected to it!

ANDYGON
alternator ??????

... what i thourght. :rolleyes: best way is to get a 10mm spanner and a 21mm spanner (i think) and crack on should take less than 30 minutes.

Anthony

Just remember to unplug the battery first! You'll only ever make the mistake of not doing so once, I promise you...

easypug
... what i thourght. :rolleyes: best way is to get a 10mm spanner and a 21mm spanner (i think) and crack on should take less than 30 minutes.

21mm is right :blush:

ANDYGON

:blush: theres some random info in my head! :rolleyes:

you can probably do it with out taking the manifold off, i'd try it that way first.

BIG_HENDO

thanks guys, shall be cracking on with it this week... all the scoobys are getting a bit big for their boots again

Higgy

God I had to put my starter in(on) when I put my Mi in, but I left the inlet manifold on.

It was a right pig, but it was one of those "I WILL NOT BE BEATEN, IT WILL WORK MY WAY" :)

Got it on, but don't fancy doing it that way again.

Now changing the cambelt with engine in situ, well that looks almost the worst job. Doing it in the 405 was difficult enough, but I did have allen bolts instead of hex heads on the tensioners.

Higgy.

KRISKARRERA

Yes when you have aircon and the abs fitted to the 405 it's a complete nightmare with lots of swearing. Luckily Miles removed my ABS so doing the Alternator is probably easier for me that on a 205 mi.

pug309twin40s

alternator is piece of piss to remove.

1. disconnect battery

2. loosen 13mm nut under the alternator on the arm that comes from the block.

3. undo and remove the 10mm adjusting bolt

4. slacken and slide bk the 21mm bolt holding the alternator to the engine mount.

5. remove the alternator belt of the alternator

6. remove the 13mm nut and the bolt thingy that the 10mm bolt goes into.

7. disconnect the wires - spade connected one and the other usually held on with a 8mm nut.

8. wiggle out the alternator

9. fit new alternator and reconnect everything.

Sign in to follow this