• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grand Monkey

Retrofitting Pas

Guest Grand Monkey

Well after following the guide to retro fitting PAS from the site, everything was going well, rack in, alternator out, fit new bracket.... here lies my problem. I cannot get the new bracket to fit. The oil cooler gets in the way. Its like a small piece of metal protroding from it, that won't let the alternator bracket fit in. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

rich_w

Are you refering to the "flat edge" on the oil cooler? If so you should be able to loosen the fitting and rotate it, if not a picture speaks a thousand words :)

Guest Grand Monkey

Here is a pciture of what i'm explaining badly :rolleyes:

GrandMonkey-oilcooler.JPG

The arrow points to whats in the way.

rich_w

What engine do you have? 8v?

That doesnt look a std oil cooler to me, but then its been some time since i've seen a 205 one (I have a 309 gti which is different, the body fits to the block directly, I can only assume this was done for space reasons on the 205).

I'm afraid i dont know what to suggest! Sorry!

Anthony

That is a standard 205 1.9 GTi air-oil cooler sandwich plate, or certainly looks like it to me. The 309 GTi's had a block mounted water-oil heat exchanger fitted instead - which doesn't fit a 205 unless you use a shorter oil filter (standard oil filter fouls the radiator).

I've never tried fitting PAS to a car with an air-oil cooler on it, but I know that Peugeot specified a different oil cooler on 1.9 models with PAS from the factory (used a remote-mounted water-oil heat exchanger) and maybe this is why, because it doesn't fit?

rich_w

My old 91/J had a remote mounted heat exchanger, but didnt have PAS (unless the previous owner removed it). I'm sure it has been said on here that Peugeot changed to the heat exchangers on latter models and did away with the air coolers.

Grand Monkey, before you think about removing the oil cooler & sandwitch plate, you will need a shorter 'insert' (the oil filter screws onto this). What a right PITA :rolleyes:

Anthony
Grand Monkey, before you think about removing the oil cooler & sandwitch plate, you will need a shorter 'insert' (the oil filter screws onto this). What a right PITA :rolleyes:

No you don't - you just remove the sandwich plate and the screw on thing that the oil filter bolts to, and then there's the standard length threaded part still in the block (unless someone's threadlocked them together, then they tend to come out as one).

j_turnell

The later 1.9s had remote oil coolers mounted on the gearbox to allow it to have PAS.

rich_w
No you don't - you just remove the sandwich plate and the screw on thing that the oil filter bolts to, and then there's the standard length threaded part still in the block (unless someone's threadlocked them together, then they tend to come out as one).

doh! Sorry making a tit of myself :) Trying to think what i was thinking of :wacko:

Guest Grand Monkey

Thanks for the advise guys, in short then, i either get rid of the oil cooler, or don't have power steering. Ah well, great plans and all :)

DaveW

ha what a bitch eh, id do with out pas for now....

James_m

I know this has been covered a lot before.... but whats it actually like running PAS rack with no ram/assitance? i can only see it as being really heavy at low speeds? :)

Super Josh
Thanks for the advise guys, in short then, i either get rid of the oil cooler, or don't have power steering. Ah well, great plans and all :)

Or fit the Oil/Water heat exchanger from a PAS equiped car

Guest Grand Monkey
Or fit the Oil/Water heat exchanger from a PAS equiped car

That a difficult job do you know? Other than finding the parts that is.

Super Josh

No fairly straight forward. Put an ad on here to get the parts. Remove your current oil filter/sandwich plate and fit the new take of plate in its place. The two hoses then run along to the front of the engine to the heat exchanger that bolts onto the side of the gearbox. The only real pain is that you need to drain the cooling system so that you can fit the new top hose that has a couple of tails that connect onto the heat exchanger that you've bolted to the gearbox. Fit new oil filter, check oil level and refill cooling system. I'll post up a diagram if you need it

Josh

jackherer

the top hose you have to use for a pas oil/water heat exchager is a bit of a liability cos it will go at some point and they are silly money from peugeot.

M@tt

i think i might have the bits your after

HPIM0254Medium.jpg

the cooler on the right is from my old 1.9 8v and i've got the remote air cooler radiator as wellif you need it

Guest Grand Monkey
No fairly straight forward. Put an ad on here to get the parts. Remove your current oil filter/sandwich plate and fit the new take of plate in its place. The two hoses then run along to the front of the engine to the heat exchanger that bolts onto the side of the gearbox. The only real pain is that you need to drain the cooling system so that you can fit the new top hose that has a couple of tails that connect onto the heat exchanger that you've bolted to the gearbox. Fit new oil filter, check oil level and refill cooling system. I'll post up a diagram if you need it

Josh

A diagram would be very helpful thanks!

Anthony
Thanks for the advise guys, in short then, i either get rid of the oil cooler, or don't have power steering. Ah well, great plans and all :D

Standard air-oil cooler from a 1.9 GTi is a waste of time frankly in my opinion...

I know this has been covered a lot before.... but whats it actually like running PAS rack with no ram/assitance? i can only see it as being really heavy at low speeds? :ph34r:

It's fine really. Yes, it's a little heavier when parking, but certainly it's still perfectly manageable :)

mak

The aftermarket sandwhich plates sold in tweeks (mocal I think) will fit, I'm running a thermostat controlled unit on mine and I'ev got PAS :D

madspikes

I fitted PAS a couple of years ago and came against this problem... I just cut the little foot off so the pump fitted. However then your run up against the problem of the longer alt bracket rubbing the oil cooler pipes. Which can zip tided out the way, but you may need to modify the bracket. The little member pic to the left is of a mate modifying the alt bracket.

Mad. :)

dee205

On the subject of retro fitting power steering.

Has anyone done it to an Mi16 205?

Sign in to follow this